Question How to go legit with Windows 10.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

SyCoREAPER

Honorable
Jan 11, 2018
Im operating half awake so I already don't remember the whole thread.

Unless Windows is on a HDD (mechanical spinning platter) drive, a SSD will be fine as stated above.

However, NVMe drives can be had for so cheap, I'd save the hassle and just do it now.

As for Windows, there are "sites" that I'm not suggesting you purchase from that others say the key works fine or keep an eye on places like Humble, Groupon (who actually currently has it for $14) etc..

USAFRet

Titan
As for Windows, there are "sites" that I'm not suggesting you purchase from that others say the key works fine or keep an eye on places like Humble, Groupon (who actually currently has it for $14) etc..
Way bad recommendation.
This is not much different than recommending a used GPU on fleabay.

Buy a real license, and never have to worry about it again.

Maverick1234

Reputable
Feb 20, 2021
Im operating half awake so I already don't remember the whole thread.

Unless Windows is on a HDD (mechanical spinning platter) drive, a SSD will be fine as stated above.

However, NVMe drives can be had for so cheap, I'd save the hassle and just do it now.

I have my windows (which is crack) installed in my SATA SSD, and I was thinking about getting a m.2 nvme and have the windows installed there for faster boot time.

But, I think getting a windows key first is more important. Once I sold my cpu and motherboard I'll get a new m.2 nvme. Then a new GPU.

Maverick1234

Reputable
Feb 20, 2021
Regarding "but I almost have all my files there; like games, videos, and pictures."

And verified backups of all that saved somewhere else as well - correct?
I only have it saved in my HDD which is my other storage. I only have two storage which is my SSD (Windos drive) and my HDD.

Maverick1234

Reputable
Feb 20, 2021
Yes, about $100-$120 is what a legit license costs.

It is a part of your PC, just like GPU/RAM/CPU. Don't try to cheap out.
Holy crap where am I gonna get that money from 😭. I can barely save up $100. Is it ok if I use windows 11 without license key for a while? It will take time for me to get a Windows Key.

Is it ok if I use windows 11 without license key for a while? It will take time for me to get a Windows Key.
That's not a big issue your just locked out of a few things like changing where your items are in your task bar or changing your desk top picture.

There is a temporary window that you actually can set those items though unregistered.

You have to install Windows 11 OFF LINE and before you restart or connect to the internet make those changes.

Reactions: helper800
You can use an unlicensed windows install indefinitely and all you will be missing out on are desktop backgrounds and taskbar reorganization. If that saves you 1 years worth of saving, I would not purchase a Windows license, or do as the above message said and run a Linux distribution, they are free.