Question How to go legit with Windows 10.

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Maverick1234

Reputable
Feb 20, 2021
You can use an unlicensed windows install indefinitely and all you will be missing out on are desktop backgrounds and taskbar reorganization. If that saves you 1 years worth of saving, I would not purchase a Windows license, or do as the above message said and run a Linux distribution, they are free.
What's the difference between a Linux and Windows? Because I already went to the pc store and they agreed on wiping out of my data and installing a legit Windows 11 and will not be activated after download.

Reactions: rickypicky5
What's the difference between a Linux and Windows? Because I already went to the pc store and they agreed on wiping out of my data and installing a legit Windows 11 and will not be activated after download.
Windows is arguably easier to use and has the most compatibility with software, Linux is free and comes in many different flavors, performs better is a most scenarios, and has less privacy concerns as compared with windows.

Maverick1234

Reputable
Feb 20, 2021
Windows is arguably easier to use and has the most compatibility with software, Linux is free and comes in many different flavors, performs better is a most scenarios, and has less privacy concerns as compared with windows.
Oh ok. But can I use Microsoft apps on Linux? Like Office, Teams, Word, and Power Point? Because I need those for school purposes.

SyCoREAPER

Honorable
Jan 11, 2018
Sometimes with WINE but there are free Office Alternatives as well. Linux requires constant tinkering no matter how much you know. I just threw it out there as an option to.experiment with since you'd be wiping the drive anyway

Reactions: helper800

Maverick1234

Reputable
Feb 20, 2021
Sometimes with WINE but there are free Office Alternatives as well. Linux requires constant tinkering no matter how much you know. I just threw it out there as an option to.experiment with since you'd be wiping the drive anyway
I think I'll just go with Windows 11 and try to get an activation key soon lol.

Maverick1234

Reputable
Feb 20, 2021
Oh btw I got another question. Since I'm wiping my data from my ssd card, my app launchers are there like steam and epic games. But the game are installed in my HDD. Do I just reinstall the launchers again and it will automatically detect the games installed in my HDD?

USAFRet

Titan
Oh btw I got another question. Since I'm wiping my data from my ssd card, my app launchers are there like steam and epic games. But the game are installed in my HDD. Do I just reinstall the launchers again and it will automatically detect the games installed in my HDD?
Not 'automatically'.
You'll just have to tell the new Steam client where the games are located.

Reactions: Maverick1234