Question How to improving my rig to get a console like experience at 1080p

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Apr 14, 2021
Greetings Guys,

I am a 1080p gamer. My current rig is an i3 10100, GTX 1660 Super, 16gb 2666mhz & MSI G27C4(monitor).

So far my gaming experience is smooth at ultra settings though games like Far Cry 5 won't go above 80 fps(Probably someone here could say why so and how to improve this situation). I don't know what is the cause, but at times I can walk through a wall like a phantom in the game, or in Far Cry 5, when driving I can see a delay in trees or the surrounding environment in being rendered. However there is no absolute stuttering nor shearing in the image quality.

I was recently playing Tom Clancy the division, and I could literally walk through another character's body, it feels weird. I am not sure if the CPU is causing such but I wanted to know if anybody else has experienced that and what is the solution. If anybody suggest an upgrade on the CPU, since intel's 11th gen is freshly out, I would really appreciate any recommendation in that generation bearing in mind I only play at 1080p ultra for the moment.

Sometimes I feel like I just want to move to consoles since I heard their games are optimized but end of the day you realize a console is just a PC. Kindly note I also bear in mind at times only AAA titles on PC are carefully developed to cater for perfection, but still I would love to hear opinions about this issue I am facing.

Thank you for any potential input.

Best regards.

Apr 14, 2021
Would just start with the dualchannel as you said and then see what that brings.
Hi Vic,

The dual channel RAM is already ordered and should be coming in soon ! We will know what it gives. I am expecting a faster rendering in the textures and higher fps, but lets see. Played nfs heat today, will driving down a straight road I could sometimes see a car just appear in front of me like in movies you see people going back in time and suddenly appearing. That was cooling. Ruined my whole mood ! By the way, dunno if its you but somebody suggested updating driver. I did that, I get a feel as if Ray Tracing effect, but frames still same !

Apr 14, 2021
The difference between an i3 and i5 for gaming is night and day.
Considering the i5 11th gen, thats true ! But let's try the proposed solution of Vic first, because anyway I noticed standards are more than 4 cores now, so definitely I have to upgrade. But you all are being very helpful ! Thanks trillion guys !

Considering the i5 11th gen, thats true ! But let's try the proposed solution of Vic first, because anyway I noticed standards are more than 4 cores now, so definitely I have to upgrade. But you all are being very helpful ! Thanks trillion guys !
The PC hardware situation gets worse day by day. RAM has gone up twice last week and most of Intel's B560 / H510 boards are on backorder now.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Back in the day, AMD had an epiphany. It realized that bandwidth was constricted on a per core basis, so along came the hexa and octo core FX. Unfortunately, most of the gamer and popular software titles bills were supplemented by Intel through various round-about routes so single core performance was king and Intel by default was king, even rocking core2 duo, i3 and i5 quad threads.

Fast forward 6 years and games like BF4 changed everything. The antiquated FX8350 was beaten by only 2 cpus, the i7-4770k and i7-4790k. 8 threads optimization. Couple years later, Ryzen release, and software needs room to grow, and quads didn't have it. Ryzen did, i7/i9 did.

9th gen almost saw the death of HT, 11th gen is all about HT. Intel finally catching on that AMD had it right in the first place. Just a few years too soon.

So what's necessary in a cpu? Enough threads to handle your workloads, including near future software expansion use, and enough speed to do so, well. Whether that's Intel or AMD is a personal choice, especially in the middle tier where performance is similar.

Last version of Adobe didn't scale well over 8 threads, a 9700k barely behind a 9900k, and well ahead of the slower Ryzens. This new version of Adobe, that's reversed with its better scaling across higher thread counts. A 3600 dusting the 9700k.

Threads can matter.

Last edited:

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
It's all the same thing. CSGO uses 2 threads, my skyrim uses 6 threads, some multi-player online mmorpgs are using 10 & 12 threads when streamed, even something as simple as winzip uses all available threads.

There's no single value, the point I was making was that Adobe only used 8 threads in the last version, but many more in the current. No different to BF or BF3 etc with the updated BF4 & 5. Valorant is the new CSGO, uses a lot more than 2 threads, scuttlebutt has it that the next version of Counterstrike will be 8 thread optimized.

Software evolves, grows. A plain 6core/6thread cpu is almost as obsolete as a older quad i5.

Even Starwars recommended is 12 thread, 32Gb of ram. Not going to be that long before games start maxing out 16Gb the way 4Gb disappeared and 8Gb followed with win10.

To get any longetivity from a pc, be it gpu, cpu, ram, you'll need to be 1 step ahead at least from what's current Now.

carocuore

Respectable
Jan 24, 2021
I just want to move to consoles since I heard their games are optimized
The Console Experience™
Cyberpunk-2077-on-Xbox-One-and-PS4.jpg

5b1049633467aca0f4000003.png

maxresdefault.jpg

Upgrading your parts won't really do much for glitched games like The Division, it will increase your framerate and overall quality but won't solve issues that inherent to the games, I used to play TD, think I got it for free a couple of years ago and while some of the missions were interesting but the toxic playerbase, constant grind mechanics and glitches really made me forget about it after some months, I don't even know what my ubisoft username was anymore, real shame.
A better CPU would be the 1st I'd look for, the graphics card is not that bad and the RAM single channel issue can be solved by adding another stick and bumping its speed a bit, or sell it and get a 3200MHz kit

The bios update might also help.
Not sure if this is serious but how would flashing the BIOS improve performance? if he was switching CPUs with a new model sure...

Reactions: jason790
Apr 14, 2021
Did see you say you updated the gpu drivers, did you clean with DDU first to get best results since having the issues you experience? Might want to try that and reinstall latest gpu drivers again.
Yes I did, but nothing much I gained only 7gb since I also need to change Hard drive soon enough.

Apr 14, 2021
It's all the same thing. CSGO uses 2 threads, my skyrim uses 6 threads, some multi-player online mmorpgs are using 10 & 12 threads when streamed, even something as simple as winzip uses all available threads.

There's no single value, the point I was making was that Adobe only used 8 threads in the last version, but many more in the current. No different to BF or BF3 etc with the updated BF4 & 5. Valorant is the new CSGO, uses a lot more than 2 threads, scuttlebutt has it that the next version of Counterstrike will be 8 thread optimized.

Software evolves, grows. A plain 6core/6thread cpu is almost as obsolete as a older quad i5.

Even Starwars recommended is 12 thread, 32Gb of ram. Not going to be that long before games start maxing out 16Gb the way 4Gb disappeared and 8Gb followed with win10.

To get any longetivity from a pc, be it gpu, cpu, ram, you'll need to be 1 step ahead at least from what's current Now.
Hi man,

<<To get any longetivity from a pc, be it gpu, cpu, ram, you'll need to be 1 step ahead at least from what's current Now.>> Can you simplify this line for me please ? I mean what is the current standard rn ?

Apr 14, 2021
The Console Experience™
Cyberpunk-2077-on-Xbox-One-and-PS4.jpg

5b1049633467aca0f4000003.png

maxresdefault.jpg

Upgrading your parts won't really do much for glitched games like The Division, it will increase your framerate and overall quality but won't solve issues that inherent to the games, I used to play TD, think I got it for free a couple of years ago and while some of the missions were interesting but the toxic playerbase, constant grind mechanics and glitches really made me forget about it after some months, I don't even know what my ubisoft username was anymore, real shame.
A better CPU would be the 1st I'd look for, the graphics card is not that bad and the RAM single channel issue can be solved by adding another stick and bumping its speed a bit, or sell it and get a 3200MHz kit

Not sure if this is serious but how would flashing the BIOS improve performance? if he was switching CPUs with a new model sure...

Hi man,

I am also guessing so. I know for sure some games have these problems inbase. Because I played metro exodus on my rig, it was good ! Never had these problems, in fact it was a great game until I couldn't clear 1 specific mission LOL ! :p

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Hi man,

<<To get any longetivity from a pc, be it gpu, cpu, ram, you'll need to be 1 step ahead at least from what's current Now.>> Can you simplify this line for me please ? I mean what is the current standard rn ?
8gb is absolute minimum ram necessary RN. 16Gb is highly recommended, but can generally be thought of as a minimum to cover any mid range pc gaming habits. If buying a new pc and budget has a little room, best to go for 32Gb as that'll cover anything as soon as 16Gb gets cramped, meaning you won't then have to upgrade or add ram etc.

For cpus, 6cores/threads is absolute minimum RN. 8 threads is getting tight, especially if you are in a heavy thread game and trying to stream. 1 step ahead is 12 threads, or 16 threads if you do any type of production work.

7 years ago, the i5-3570k was king of the cpus for games. Nothing really challenged its 4 threads, so the i7-3770K at $100 more was considered an unnecessary waste of money. Few years later, that all changed, you can still get by with that old i7, but gaming on a 3570k is a disaster. $100 wisely spent, 1 step ahead.

8gb is absolute minimum ram necessary RN. 16Gb is highly recommended, but can generally be thought of as a minimum to cover any mid range pc gaming habits. If buying a new pc and budget has a little room, best to go for 32Gb as that'll cover anything as soon as 16Gb gets cramped, meaning you won't then have to upgrade or add ram etc.

For cpus, 6cores/threads is absolute minimum RN. 8 threads is getting tight, especially if you are in a heavy thread game and trying to stream. 1 step ahead is 12 threads, or 16 threads if you do any type of production work.

7 years ago, the i5-3570k was king of the cpus for games. Nothing really challenged its 4 threads, so the i7-3770K at $100 more was considered an unnecessary waste of money. Few years later, that all changed, you can still get by with that old i7, but gaming on a 3570k is a disaster. $100 wisely spent, 1 step ahead.
My last computer was a 3570k with 16gb of ram and started with a 7970ghz ed later updated to a gtx 970. For games prior to 2016-2018 its still a great performer at 1080p but times had changed. I got a 1440p monitor and a 32 inch 4k productivity monitor and the 970 was no bueno. Moral of the story @jason790 is that if I had spend the extra 100 on the i7 3770k I would have been able to hold off building a new computer for a couple more years. Currently I would consider 16gb dual channel ram, 6 core 12 thread cpus, a sata / nvme SSD boot device, and a 1080p 120-144hz monitor the minimum acceptable gaming setup to get a good to great gaming experience. It can be done with older parts but many newer games will struggle. I ended up giving my old gaming computer to a friend that mainly uses it for emulating older games and has no intent on playing newer games of the last 4 years. It works flawlessly for him and he loves it.

Apr 14, 2021
My last computer was a 3570k with 16gb of ram and started with a 7970ghz ed later updated to a gtx 970. For games prior to 2016-2018 its still a great performer at 1080p but times had changed. I got a 1440p monitor and a 32 inch 4k productivity monitor and the 970 was no bueno. Moral of the story @jason790 is that if I had spend the extra 100 on the i7 3770k I would have been able to hold off building a new computer for a couple more years. Currently I would consider 16gb dual channel ram, 6 core 12 thread cpus, a sata / nvme SSD boot device, and a 1080p 120-144hz monitor the minimum acceptable gaming setup to get a good to great gaming experience. It can be done with older parts but many newer games will struggle. I ended up giving my old gaming computer to a friend that mainly uses it for emulating older games and has no intent on playing newer games of the last 4 years. It works flawlessly for him and he loves it.

@Karadjgne & @helper800 : Yeah I got you both on that ! My logic was same too, because I build whenever a new console is out. My logic was older games still run fine on a 4 core, but newer games will be hungrier since consoles have 6 cores, developers will at all cost want to maximize the use of these cores and it will happen so for the next 5 yrs at least. If I want to stay in the course, I definitely need to go for more cores. Because end of the day I will just be playing games they release for consoles version PC. You guys seem accurate on this one.

@Karadjgne & @helper800 : Yeah I got you both on that ! My logic was same too, because I build whenever a new console is out. My logic was older games still run fine on a 4 core, but newer games will be hungrier since consoles have 6 cores, developers will at all cost want to maximize the use of these cores and it will happen so for the next 5 yrs at least. If I want to stay in the course, I definitely need to go for more cores. Because end of the day I will just be playing games they release for consoles version PC. You guys seem accurate on this one.
New consoles have 8 cores and 16 threads and are roughly equal to a 2700x / 3700x amd cpus.

Apr 14, 2021
New consoles have 8 cores and 16 threads and are roughly equal to a 2700x / 3700x amd cpus.
Just asking, you don't think I will be safer if I upgrade to an i9 in that case ? I mean if I wait another month, I can add another $175+(Google says these cores are roughly $320) and future proof myself for an extra year or so ? Just to be more specific, if I have to buy an i9, I would probably go for an F version. Do you think in that case I need to invest in a high end cooler as well ?

Last edited:

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
There's only 3 Intel cpu's in 10th/11th Gens worth anything right now, the rest are dismal failures for value at least or don't really show any improvement over prior Gens for the added price tag. 11400, 11600k and 10900k.

Consoles have been using 8 threads for years, that all started with a low wattage version of the FX 8 core cpus, but the threads themselves don't port over to pc exactly the same as those cpus ran at 1.2GHz etc for heat distribution, whereas pc doesn't suffer such restrictions so can see the same game using 2-4 cores just as effectively. The lower fps output required running far lower detail settings than a decent discrete gpu is capable of, so a console killer wasn't all that hard to make.

Up until gpu prices went stupid and consoles evolved into the PS5 and its 1440p/4k abilities. While consoles still don't have the detail levels, to get them on pc costs a small fortune that many cannot justify.

Gaming on 4k? Stick with a console, it'll run about ¼ - ⅓ of the price of an equivalent pc atm with half or more of the price being just the gpu.

Apr 14, 2021
There's only 3 Intel cpu's in 10th/11th Gens worth anything right now, the rest are dismal failures for value at least or don't really show any improvement over prior Gens for the added price tag. 11400, 11600k and 10900k.

Consoles have been using 8 threads for years, that all started with a low wattage version of the FX 8 core cpus, but the threads themselves don't port over to pc exactly the same as those cpus ran at 1.2GHz etc for heat distribution, whereas pc doesn't suffer such restrictions so can see the same game using 2-4 cores just as effectively. The lower fps output required running far lower detail settings than a decent discrete gpu is capable of, so a console killer wasn't all that hard to make.

Up until gpu prices went stupid and consoles evolved into the PS5 and its 1440p/4k abilities. While consoles still don't have the detail levels, to get them on pc costs a small fortune that many cannot justify.

Gaming on 4k? Stick with a console, it'll run about ¼ - ⅓ of the price of an equivalent pc atm with half or more of the price being just the gpu.
It was a lot of information to assimilate but one thing for sure I share with you, if I need to game at 4K, I better buy a console because they're ready for 120fps anytime those TVs come out soon & won't require me crazy amount of money for an RTX card and the CPU required to power the rig. In my case where I think I'm good with 1080p right now, don't you think that would be funds wastage to aim for an i9 ? Thanks for any potential input you can share.

Edit : I got it, Core i5 11400f should be good for my requirements.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
11400f is the best budget cpu right now by a decent margin, generally beating out the 10600k stock and 3700x, except in titles that scale well with frequency it even beats out the Ryzen 5800x and comes in right under a 10700k. For the MSRP, it's an incredible value thats not been seen out of any Intel for... A very long time.

And 11th gen cpus are not speed restricted by ram like all non-K cpus were for Gems 1-10, so higher speed XMP profiles like 3200MHz will only add to that.

Imho, the 11400 is the best thing Intel has done since Ivy-Bridge.

Apr 14, 2021
11400f is the best budget cpu right now by a decent margin, generally beating out the 10600k stock and 3700x, except in titles that scale well with frequency it even beats out the Ryzen 5800x and comes in right under a 10700k. For the MSRP, it's an incredible value thats not been seen out of any Intel for... A very long time.
I think for the titles I will be playing the 11400f would be sufficient. I had a very weak way of thinking when building my rigs before, I used to aim for a rig which will play all latest AAA titles smoothly, just that I forgot I won't play all of them :p Only those which pleases me. If ever in the future I come across any title that pleases me, then that might be the opportunity to jump on 4k consoles. But for right I am going to settle down on the line.

And 11th gen cpus are not speed restricted by ram like all non-K cpus were for Gems 1-10, so higher speed XMP profiles like 3200MHz will only add to that.

Imho, the 11400 is the best thing Intel has done since Ivy-Bridge.
Just out of my curiosity what games do the 11400f beat the 5800x?

Apr 14, 2021
Hi guys, just to add.

Something not really smart I've been doing. Since I use my 120gb storage SSD as local, I never install games on it. I install it on another one which is an HDD of about 5400rpm but defo not 7200rpm.

While reading, I realize games are just a series of codes which is executed depending on user input and graphically represented.

I am guessing my RAM running in single Channel & the game being read from a slow HDD, that could be a serious CPU bottleneck ?

Any body any input about this ?