Question How to improving my rig to get a console like experience at 1080p

Apr 14, 2021
Greetings Guys,

I am a 1080p gamer. My current rig is an i3 10100, GTX 1660 Super, 16gb 2666mhz & MSI G27C4(monitor).

So far my gaming experience is smooth at ultra settings though games like Far Cry 5 won't go above 80 fps(Probably someone here could say why so and how to improve this situation). I don't know what is the cause, but at times I can walk through a wall like a phantom in the game, or in Far Cry 5, when driving I can see a delay in trees or the surrounding environment in being rendered. However there is no absolute stuttering nor shearing in the image quality.

I was recently playing Tom Clancy the division, and I could literally walk through another character's body, it feels weird. I am not sure if the CPU is causing such but I wanted to know if anybody else has experienced that and what is the solution. If anybody suggest an upgrade on the CPU, since intel's 11th gen is freshly out, I would really appreciate any recommendation in that generation bearing in mind I only play at 1080p ultra for the moment.

Sometimes I feel like I just want to move to consoles since I heard their games are optimized but end of the day you realize a console is just a PC. Kindly note I also bear in mind at times only AAA titles on PC are carefully developed to cater for perfection, but still I would love to hear opinions about this issue I am facing.

Thank you for any potential input.

Best regards.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMBEvgiKqBs

B560/H510 board + 3200Mhz CL16 RAM and either of these cpu's.

http://www.allstarshop.com/shop/Asus-Prime-B560-Plus_82_56839.html
Asus Prime B560-Plus $124.50

https://www.newegg.com/ballistix-16gb-288-pin-ddr4-sdram/p/N82E16820164188
Crucial Ballistix 3200 MHz 16GB (8GBx2) CL16 $87.99

https://www.amazon.com/Intel-i5-11400F-Desktop-Processor-LGA1200/dp/B08X6SZ184/
Intel Core i5-11400F $179.99

https://www.newegg.com/intel-core-i5-10400f-core-i5-10th-gen/p/N82E16819118132
Intel Core i5-10400F $159.99

Last edited:
Reactions: jason790

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Not sure what to tell you. You have a mid-range graphics card and a relatively low end CPU with relatively slow memory. You want more performance you simply have to start upgrading components.

Higher FPS in games is dependent on two factors. CPU/Memory speed for the game engine, and the GPU for rendering the frames. One or the other is the problem depending on the game title. You can test this by increasing your graphics settings until the GPU is at 100%, that shows you the limit of it. If you reduce your graphics settings and get no FPS improvement, that means your CPU is the problem (it won't always go to 100%, most games still rely on single core performance to a large degree)

Most of the issues you are describing are game related, not your hardware.

Um, that last line makes me laugh, AAA titles are often released early, riddled with bugs, and are abandoned before true completion so they can work on the next AAA title. Has happened countless times and there are really nice games out there with huge bugs still present. I think you would have more luck with Indie titles today then most AAA productions. See Fallout 76, Red Dead Redemption.

If you are going to spend money upgrading I would do something like this, assuming you have a case the cooler can fit and a PSU to drive the extra wattage from the CPU:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i5-10600KF 4.1 GHz 6-Core Processor ($199.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: ARCTIC Liquid Freezer II 280 72.8 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($114.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Team T-FORCE VULCAN Z 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($159.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $474.97
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-04-14 12:43 EDT-0400

You dont need the RAM but is will definitely help performance and double your current total. I suspect that this CPU upgrade even if kept stock will increase performance significantly at 1080p with a 1660 super.

Apr 14, 2021
Not sure what to tell you. You have a mid-range graphics card and a relatively low end CPU with relatively slow memory. You want more performance you simply have to start upgrading components.

Higher FPS in games is dependent on two factors. CPU/Memory speed for the game engine, and the GPU for rendering the frames. One or the other is the problem depending on the game title. You can test this by increasing your graphics settings until the GPU is at 100%, that shows you the limit of it. If you reduce your graphics settings and get no FPS improvement, that means your CPU is the problem (it won't always go to 100%, most games still rely on single core performance to a large degree)

Most of the issues you are describing are game related, not your hardware.

Um, that last line makes me laugh, AAA titles are often released early, riddled with bugs, and are abandoned before true completion so they can work on the next AAA title. Has happened countless times and there are really nice games out there with huge bugs still present. I think you would have more luck with Indie titles today then most AAA productions. See Fallout 76, Red Dead Redemption.

So, it happens to you too even on your rig while playing FPS games you're able to walk through the wall ? Or through another character ? Because so far the people the same games on consoles don't have these problems. Thanks for your time and input. :)

Apr 14, 2021
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMBEvgiKqBs

B560/H510 board + 3200Mhz CL16 RAM and either of these cpu's.

https://www.newegg.com/ballistix-16gb-288-pin-ddr4-sdram/p/N82E16820164188
Crucial Ballistix 3200 MHz 16GB (8GBx2) CL16 $87.99

https://www.amazon.com/Intel-i5-11400F-Desktop-Processor-LGA1200/dp/B08X6SZ184/
Intel Core i5-11400F $179.99

https://www.newegg.com/intel-core-i5-10400f-core-i5-10th-gen/p/N82E16819118132
Intel Core i5-10400F $159.99

Hey man, that's awesome ! Thanks for your input. I will definitely see forward to upgrade the parts you've mentioned ! :)

Reactions: Why_Me
Apr 14, 2021
If you are going to spend money upgrading I would do something like this, assuming you have a case the cooler can fit and a PSU to drive the extra wattage from the CPU:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i5-10600KF 4.1 GHz 6-Core Processor ($199.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: ARCTIC Liquid Freezer II 280 72.8 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($114.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Team T-FORCE VULCAN Z 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($159.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $474.97
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-04-14 12:43 EDT-0400

You dont need the RAM but is will definitely help performance and double your current total. I suspect that this CPU upgrade even if kept stock will increase performance significantly at 1080p with a 1660 super.

Hey man, thanks for your time & input. Just to ask, don't you think I am better off with an 11th gen CPU ? My current board won't support a K CPU despite it is an LGA1200 socket.

Hey man, thanks for your time & input. Just to ask, don't you think I am better off with an 11th gen CPU ? My current board won't support a K CPU despite it is an LGA1200 socket.
Thats too bad your current motherboard cannot support a K sku CPU. If it could the 10600k is very comparable to performance to an 11400f but can also be overclocked and would not require a motherboard replacement. But since your motherboard cannot support the 10600k anyway you mind as well get a new 500 series motherboard and an 11400f as suggested above. Just something to note about CPU's, the better you cool them the longer they will boost to higher frequencies so getting a nice cooler will increase performance by a decent amount.

Apr 14, 2021
Thats too bad your current motherboard cannot support a K sku CPU. If it could the 10600k is very comparable to performance to an 11400f but can also be overclocked and would not require a motherboard replacement. But since your motherboard cannot support the 10600k anyway you mind as well get a new 500 series motherboard and an 11400f as suggested above. Just something to note about CPU's, the better you cool them the longer they will boost to higher frequencies so getting a nice cooler will increase performance by a decent amount.

Thanks again for your precious input, but may I ask why get a new mobo please ? Intel 11th gen cores should be compatible with 10th gen mobos ? Thanks trillion in advance for you precious infos !

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
The Division 1/2 are some of my favorite games. It is not uncommon for you to be able to move through other players on the game, and in particular other (human) players while in safe areas and such. I really can't comment much on the other games as I don't play them often or at all.

IMO if you are seeing no stutter or issue, gaming at better than 60 frames I am not sure there IS anything wrong.

Reactions: Flayed and Eximo

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
People start to suggest new cpu's, but how is your gpu usage when gaming? mean utilisation. If this in any game goes to 100% or close, 95% will do as well, than there is your problem.

MSI Afterburner can be used to look at that or hwinfo.

The ram is two sticks of 8gb?

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
People start to suggest new cpu's, but how is your gpu usage when gaming? mean utilisation. If this in any game goes to 100% or close, 95% will do as well, than there is your problem.

It depends to some degree on what level of GPU usage you see alongside your CPU. If they are both nearly maxed it's suggestive that the components are well balanced. Chasing that by throwing parts at half the equation (like so many of us are doing right now) isn't a solution.

Greetings Guys,

I am a 1080p gamer. My current rig is an i3 10100, GTX 1660 Super, 16gb 2666mhz & MSI G27C4(monitor).

So far my gaming experience is smooth at ultra settings though games like Far Cry 5 won't go above 80 fps(Probably someone here could say why so and how to improve this situation). I don't know what is the cause, but at times I can walk through a wall like a phantom in the game, or in Far Cry 5, when driving I can see a delay in trees or the surrounding environment in being rendered. However there is no absolute stuttering nor shearing in the image quality.

I was recently playing Tom Clancy the division, and I could literally walk through another character's body, it feels weird. I am not sure if the CPU is causing such but I wanted to know if anybody else has experienced that and what is the solution. If anybody suggest an upgrade on the CPU, since intel's 11th gen is freshly out, I would really appreciate any recommendation in that generation bearing in mind I only play at 1080p ultra for the moment.

Sometimes I feel like I just want to move to consoles since I heard their games are optimized but end of the day you realize a console is just a PC. Kindly note I also bear in mind at times only AAA titles on PC are carefully developed to cater for perfection, but still I would love to hear opinions about this issue I am facing.

Thank you for any potential input.

Best regards.
Run this and post a link to the results.
PC Benchmark

Apr 14, 2021

Hi, thanks for your input ! I'll definitely do that & post it here ! Thanks man.

Apr 14, 2021
Run this and post a link to the results.
PC Benchmark
Hi man, your test was easiest do i did it first. Let me know if these data are sufficient if else I also took screen captures. Thanks trillion for any input.

UserBenchmarks: Game 59%, Desk 84%, Work 50%
CPU: Intel Core i3-10100 - 85.7%
GPU: Nvidia GTX 1660S (Super) - 71.2%
SSD: Kingston SSDNow UV400 120GB - 563.4%
HDD: Seagate ST3160318AS 160GB - 51.4%
RAM: Crucial CT16G4DFD8266.C16FD1 1x16GB - 49.1%
MBD: MSI H410M-A PRO (MS-7C89)

Hi man, your test was easiest do i did it first. Let me know if these data are sufficient if else I also took screen captures. Thanks trillion for any input.

UserBenchmarks: Game 59%, Desk 84%, Work 50%
CPU: Intel Core i3-10100 - 85.7%
GPU: Nvidia GTX 1660S (Super) - 71.2%
SSD: Kingston SSDNow UV400 120GB - 563.4%
HDD: Seagate ST3160318AS 160GB - 51.4%
RAM: Crucial CT16G4DFD8266.C16FD1 1x16GB - 49.1%
MBD: MSI H410M-A PRO (MS-7C89)
Post a Link to the results.

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
Single channel ram and also not the latest bios, The single channel ram can really bottleneck if the cpu maxes out, so if you can return for 2x8gb or add do so.

The bios update might also help. Would be nice to see some pictures of MSI after burner on screen and see how the gpu plus cpu are doing. Or hwinfo,

download hwinfo64,
install and open it,
check "sensors-only",
click "run".

Apr 14, 2021
Single channel ram and also not the latest bios, The single channel ram can really bottleneck if the cpu maxes out, so if you can return for 2x8gb or add do so.

The bios update might also help. Would be nice to see some pictures of MSI after burner on screen and see how the gpu plus cpu are doing. Or hwinfo,
Hi Vic,

Thanks for the input. I will first do the MSI after burner test to update you. Then I will do the Bios update. It might then be more appropriate for you to suggest me if I simply need to go for faster and dual channel ram or I need to change CPU as well. Just an update, I just installed nfs heat. It was freezing. Then I went into settings to put it on ultra, after that gameplay was freeze free. Maybe this info might help into deriving to any conclusion.

Reactions: Vic 40 and jason790