Question How to improving my rig to get a console like experience at 1080p

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Apr 14, 2021
Greetings Guys,

I am a 1080p gamer. My current rig is an i3 10100, GTX 1660 Super, 16gb 2666mhz & MSI G27C4(monitor).

So far my gaming experience is smooth at ultra settings though games like Far Cry 5 won't go above 80 fps(Probably someone here could say why so and how to improve this situation). I don't know what is the cause, but at times I can walk through a wall like a phantom in the game, or in Far Cry 5, when driving I can see a delay in trees or the surrounding environment in being rendered. However there is no absolute stuttering nor shearing in the image quality.

I was recently playing Tom Clancy the division, and I could literally walk through another character's body, it feels weird. I am not sure if the CPU is causing such but I wanted to know if anybody else has experienced that and what is the solution. If anybody suggest an upgrade on the CPU, since intel's 11th gen is freshly out, I would really appreciate any recommendation in that generation bearing in mind I only play at 1080p ultra for the moment.

Sometimes I feel like I just want to move to consoles since I heard their games are optimized but end of the day you realize a console is just a PC. Kindly note I also bear in mind at times only AAA titles on PC are carefully developed to cater for perfection, but still I would love to hear opinions about this issue I am facing.

Thank you for any potential input.

Best regards.

Apr 14, 2021
Slow storage devices leads to slow loading times and slow single channel ram lead to reduced CPU performance. Texture loading in games may be slower than typical as well, this is due to a combination of storage speeds and ram speeds for CPU and GPU.
I guess @Bob.B had a fair share when he suggested first work on the dual channel ram and improved disk. As when concerned with the gpu driver, dunno if I am right or not, but I feel like ray tracing over my game play ! Everything looks shiny and glossy.

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
Yes I did, but nothing much I gained only 7gb since I also need to change Hard drive soon enough.
Think you didn't click the link or didn't understand, it's for a totall clean up of just gpu drivers so they won't clash wiht older stuff, it's not for a clean up of the hdd/ssd's you have. This might help with the visual problems you seem to have. Think that those might not be about the cpu "underperforming".

And sure with an ssd so full you need extra space. That full ssd is also a problem.

Reactions: jason790
Hi guys, just to add.

Something not really smart I've been doing. Since I use my 120gb storage SSD as local, I never install games on it. I install it on another one which is an HDD of about 5400rpm but defo not 7200rpm.

While reading, I realize games are just a series of codes which is executed depending on user input and graphically represented.

I am guessing my RAM running in single Channel & the game being read from a slow HDD, that could be a serious CPU bottleneck ?

Any body any input about this ?
It's just a piece at a time.
You move from one bottleneck to the next and then the next.....etc.
Start with the ram and test.
Next is the storage and test.
Once those two are done if it's still not fast enough it's cpu and mobo time.

Reactions: Vic 40 and jason790
Apr 14, 2021
It's just a piece at a time.
You move from one bottleneck to the next and then the next.....etc.
Start with the ram and test.
Next is the storage and test.
Once those two are done if it's still not fast enough it's cpu and mobo time.
I like the sound of this idea ! Because the least of the things I want is changing components then finding out nothing improved. Just to ask you, do you have an idea if my ram will run at 2666mhz or 2933mhz ? Because on the website it says 2933Mhz max speed. I was guessing if I throw my 3600mhz ram stick at it maybe it will go that extra mile when its on turbo ? no doubt while gaming it will be on Turbo Boost.

Apr 14, 2021
With the cpu you have now and with that motherboard will 2666mhz be the fastest you get.
Hi @Vic 40 ,

Just to ask you, I got a deal on bhphotovideo for a used Samsung 1TB 970 EVO plus m.2, according to researches this seem to be a good storage device in gaming pcs, do you think its worth buying a used one ? No risks with it ? I can buy another brand or any recommendation from you which is cheaper but just trying to go for the best even if its used. Also trying to cut cost on this one since I didn't plan it in my $500. Thanks for any potential input from your side. Regards.

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
Last edited:
Apr 14, 2021
That's fine, there are likely cheaper options that will work good as well and where you really won't know the difference in daily use,

put the two Samsung in for price comparison.

A review with the Samsung 970 and the Adata in,
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/intel-ssd-665p-m2-nvme-ssd/2
look for others as well.
I took the samsung 980. Because this is something even my next build will keep.

Reactions: Vic 40
Apr 14, 2021
That's fine, is a good ssd nonetheless, just expensive. 👍
Hey @Vic 40 , sorryfr my endless questions. But just asking, if the ssd & dualchannel isn’t helping. I will have to shift to a new processor, instead of jumping to the 11th gen immediately, what do you think if I just move up the line by charging the pc with a used i7 10700f ? I get to keep my mobo, will run the system @ 2933mhz & spend only $200. Do you think this is also a good idea ? Thanks fr any potential input.

Reactions: helper800

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
Hey @Vic 40 , sorryfr my endless questions. But just asking, if the ssd & dualchannel isn’t helping. I will have to shift to a new processor, instead of jumping to the 11th gen immediately, what do you think if I just move up the line by charging the pc with a used i7 10700f ? I get to keep my mobo, will run the system @ 2933mhz & spend only $200. Do you think this is also a good idea ? Thanks fr any potential input.
Sounds good to me.

Apr 14, 2021
Hi Vic,
I am still waiting for my RAM to be delivered. In the meanwhile wanted to share this with you, something I've learned from my researches. This could be a great game changer test for me. Remember you always said the GPU and CPU seems doing fine with each other & just the ram might be bottlenecking due to single channel and too slow speed. Well there's a guy out there who managed to OC his ram to 3600mhz while having the same processor as me. The thing is i just need to upgrade to a B560 chipset mobo. Sounds interesting.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=riEf9YtP8y0

Regards.

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
Yeah i personally would rather get the 10700f.

Said nothing about the speed of the ram btw, that was someone else as far as i remember, but yes dualchannel should lessen a cpu bottleneck i hope. Sometimes the gpu drops to ~90% in the game which pics you showed, think the dualchannel ram would help there. If the gpu runs games at 100% is there no bottleneck, well other than that you could get a better gpu for higher fps, but in that case would it maybe be better to upgrade the cpu as well.

Would be nice to know if the gpu goes up to 100% or close in all games you play.

Apr 14, 2021
Yeah i personally would rather get the 10700f.

Said nothing about the speed of the ram btw, that was someone else as far as i remember, but yes dualchannel should lessen a cpu bottleneck i hope. Sometimes the gpu drops to ~90% in the game which pics you showed, think the dualchannel ram would help there. If the gpu runs games at 100% is there no bottleneck, well other than that you could get a better gpu for higher fps, but in that case would it maybe be better to upgrade the cpu as well.

Would be nice to know if the gpu goes up to 100% or close in all games you play.
Hi,

I definitely need to get a more powerful core if I want to stay in the game, I am just trying to be more methodical : upgrade & test till I find the sweet spot.

I won't be able to answer right now since with my limited storage I never keep more than 1 game on my drive. With the new SSD, I will be able to give a comparison.

As far as the gpu is concerned, I am satisfied with the number of frames I am getting & the quality of the graphics, I just want to see the rendering going faster which I don't think is a frame thing(maybe you have another opinion on that).

I ran into a guy on YouTube who had my i3 10100f & a GTX 1650 & was playing NFS Heat, he focused that the speed of the ram in that particular game was important. He later shifted to a Ryzen though.

Regards.

Apr 14, 2021
If you want a better/newer motherboard do really get something better.

Ram not in yet? Would really like to see what difference it makes in your system.
Hi Vic,

Not in yet. I am currently in Africa, DHL is delivering me this friday(4-7business days operation).

For the mobo, I've already ordered the Asus Prime B560M-A. Allows me to run the RAM @ 3600mhz with the i3 10100 and compatible with 11th gen. Eyed the Asus TUF B560m, but the extra $40 can be useful later. 590 chipsets are too expensive for my current needs.

I will keep the thread up-to-date with each step of the update.

Regards all.

Apr 14, 2021
Yeah let us know. 👍
Hi everybody,

Sorry for the late reply.

I got my nvme SSD & the ram. It does give some extra performance.

I never see my CPU jumping to >90%. My fps are always between 80-90/+ but rarely under 80. I can feel the rendering going definitely faster, I no more see a car appearing in the middle of everything or while driving fast see a tree being rendered gradually. Haven't yet cloned my SSD to my NVME, I now want some faster loading as well.

This week am getting delivered the board. I am confident 3600mhz will give me a potential extra of 10 fps and shall keep me satisfied till I move to the 11400f.

Trillion thanks to everybody & I shall keep the thread updated.

Regards all.

Apr 14, 2021
Hello Guys,

I got my motherboard. Been setting up since yesterday. Tried to run NFS heat again but not so totally satisfied so far though running the i3 10100 with 3600mhz RAM(XMP 1 profile).

My framerates are pretty stabilized at 90 now though I occasionally get the same old problem of slow renderings which was fixed on the previous mobo. I get to see a car pop out the middle of nothing or I can feel graphics being rendered now as I approach an environment. My mobo came in with some software which may be bottlenecking the computer just for low power consumption or efficiency.

I can however feel what is faster ram, textures even on the asphalt, lots of little details makes the whole game feel different which wasn't there before. I will try to OC my GPU later in the day maybe one of the parts(Processor/GPU) isn't able to pick up the higher ram speed efficiently.

Regards all.

Hello Guys,

I got my motherboard. Been setting up since yesterday. Tried to run NFS heat again but not so totally satisfied so far though running the i3 10100 with 3600mhz RAM(XMP 1 profile).

My framerates are pretty stabilized at 90 now though I occasionally get the same old problem of slow renderings which was fixed on the previous mobo. I get to see a car pop out the middle of nothing or I can feel graphics being rendered now as I approach an environment. My mobo came in with some software which may be bottlenecking the computer just for low power consumption or efficiency.

I can however feel what is faster ram, textures even on the asphalt, lots of little details makes the whole game feel different which wasn't there before. I will try to OC my GPU later in the day maybe one of the parts(Processor/GPU) isn't able to pick up the higher ram speed efficiently.

Regards all.
Make sure the new motherboard has the same XMP profile selected as before. Nvme drives for games tend to work better without the OS installed on them. This is because as you are playing whatever game it is at the time the OS is also constantly using the drive slowing it down a little for the game you are in. I personally have 2 Nvme drives. One 1tb drive for my OS and games that are not picky about loading and rendering ingame, and a 2TB game drive for all the other games. This is totally unnecessary though, just a nice small benefit of keeping an Nvme drive as a storage drive instead of the main OS drive and game drive at the same time. Something to think about.