Question How to improving my rig to get a console like experience at 1080p

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Apr 14, 2021
Greetings Guys,

I am a 1080p gamer. My current rig is an i3 10100, GTX 1660 Super, 16gb 2666mhz & MSI G27C4(monitor).

So far my gaming experience is smooth at ultra settings though games like Far Cry 5 won't go above 80 fps(Probably someone here could say why so and how to improve this situation). I don't know what is the cause, but at times I can walk through a wall like a phantom in the game, or in Far Cry 5, when driving I can see a delay in trees or the surrounding environment in being rendered. However there is no absolute stuttering nor shearing in the image quality.

I was recently playing Tom Clancy the division, and I could literally walk through another character's body, it feels weird. I am not sure if the CPU is causing such but I wanted to know if anybody else has experienced that and what is the solution. If anybody suggest an upgrade on the CPU, since intel's 11th gen is freshly out, I would really appreciate any recommendation in that generation bearing in mind I only play at 1080p ultra for the moment.

Sometimes I feel like I just want to move to consoles since I heard their games are optimized but end of the day you realize a console is just a PC. Kindly note I also bear in mind at times only AAA titles on PC are carefully developed to cater for perfection, but still I would love to hear opinions about this issue I am facing.

Thank you for any potential input.

Best regards.

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
At higher resolutions is the gpu becoming the more important part so yes. It's just that 5 years is a long time in pc world so by then game developers can maybe well make use of all threads of the 10700 or most, but you would still have cores for backgroundtasks.

Do have to say that the 10400f is quite a bargain now at $150,-

Reactions: jason790
Apr 14, 2021
At higher resolutions is the gpu becoming the more important part so yes. It's just that 5 years is a long time in pc world so by then game developers can maybe well make use of all threads of the 10700 or most, but you would still have cores for backgroundtasks.

Do have to say that the 10400f is quite a bargain now at $150,-
Hi @Vic 40,

Thanks trillion for your input.

I am really really bang for the buck when it comes to spend money. After reviewing around, I realized the i5 11500 is pretty good competition to the i7 10700.

The only meaningful difference is my board supports Turbo Boost max 3.0 & not the i5 11500. But the turbo boost 2.0 allows my mobo to run it till 4.6. I couldn't justify the extra bucks for the extra 200mhz.

The order should be in this week itself. I should soon be able to give feedback about the gaming experience.

Regards.

Apr 14, 2021
If you want an i5 get the 10400f, if you want better get the 10700(f).
Hi @Vic 40,

Thanks for commenting just in time. I already placed the order for the 11500 but I can still revert back the order. Can you tell me what is my advantage of the i7 over the i5 ? What do I gain more for the extra bucks ? Will an i7 allow me 1440p gaming if I upgrade my monitor later on or the i5 will still be able to do it while the i7 will just last longer ?

Thanks for any input.

Regards.

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
The advantage of the i7 is the extra cores/threads which in the future might come in handy. With the gpu you have now is there really no diference and up to a certain standard gpu none as well, can't say really where that starts. Maybe somewhere over RTX 3070 and even then at 1440p is the gpu the most decisive part for fps. But if you want to get the best option for a longer time would i get the more cores/threads.

Maybe could get the 10400(f) now and look at used 10700(f) later on. See already here where i live good value stuff like the 10400f for €115,-. In a few years you might see that 10700 (maybe) for around $200,- , one can hope.

Apr 14, 2021
The advantage of the i7 is the extra cores/threads which in the future might come in handy. With the gpu you have now is there really no diference and up to a certain standard gpu none as well, can't say really where that starts. Maybe somewhere over RTX 3070 and even then at 1440p is the gpu the most decisive part for fps. But if you want to get the best option for a longer time would i get the more cores/threads.

Maybe could get the 10400(f) now and look at used 10700(f) later on. See already here where i live good value stuff like the 10400f for €115,-. In a few years you might see that 10700 (maybe) for around $200,- , one can hope.
Hi @Vic 40 ,

Thanks again for your input.

My logic went same as yours. Just like you mentioned earlier, people no more buy CPUs to hold 5 yrs.

While researching, I also realized the 11th gen is more likely to be paired with RTX3xxx series. Even for later upgrades, the i5 10th gen will still handle an RTX2060.

I modified the order for the i5 10400f, they already delivered & already mounted on the rig. I shall benchmark & give some updates soon.

Regards all.

Apr 14, 2021
Hello All,

Hope you're doing well.

I have the joy to say I am very happy about the recent upgrades I made. My gameplay in NFS Heat gives me 94-100fps almost all the time while my GPU is always at peak & CPU <80%. The gameplay is really smooth, consistent & rendering gives it a sense of realism. It does give a feeling on playing on a next gen console but at a lower resolution.

I have to mention with the i5 hooked, my Afterburner allows me to OC my GPU core, before used to be curved. Now the core is +135Mhz & memory still at +200Mhz(confidence level 90%). Via the Asus software the CPU is calibrated to choose performance vs power efficiency & the ram is still " XMP II 3600mhz.

I've installed Battlefield 1 & I get +140fps easily, I just don't like it since playing with controller fps games is a bit challenging for me at the moment. But I guess I'm all set to play COD:MW2019. Been dreaming about this game since long time.

Regards all, and thanks a lot for every piece of advice that you guys gave. Hands down on the richest in content forum on web !

Hello All,

Hope you're doing well.

I have the joy to say I am very happy about the recent upgrades I made. My gameplay in NFS Heat gives me 94-100fps almost all the time while my GPU is always at peak & CPU <80%. The gameplay is really smooth, consistent & rendering gives it a sense of realism. It does give a feeling on playing on a next gen console but at a lower resolution.

I have to mention with the i5 hooked, my Afterburner allows me to OC my GPU core, before used to be curved. Now the core is +135Mhz & memory still at +200Mhz(confidence level 90%). Via the Asus software the CPU is calibrated to choose performance vs power efficiency & the ram is still " XMP II 3600mhz.

I've installed Battlefield 1 & I get +140fps easily, I just don't like it since playing with controller fps games is a bit challenging for me at the moment. But I guess I'm all set to play COD:MW2019. Been dreaming about this game since long time.

Regards all, and thanks a lot for every piece of advice that you guys gave. Hands down on the richest in content forum on web !
Remember to make another post if you have any more questions or issues! I am glad you were able to achieve what you were looking to do.