Question How to Increase Size of Bootable RAID 1 Array Using Intel Optane Memory and Storage Software (Not Intel RST) ?

Jul 15, 2024
I have Windows 11 Pro w/latest updates and have 2x SATA 512GB SSD’s in a RAID1 configuration as my boot and data drive C. The computer is a Dell Precision Tower 3431. There is only one array in this system and no other drives at all.

The computer has Secure Mode enabled and RAID option is set in the BIOS. The software is Intel Optane Memory and Storage Management (Not the older Intel RST).

I would like to upgrade the size of my two drives from 2x SATA 512GB SSD’s to 2x SATA 1TB SSD’s.

I have seen the directions on how to do this for Intel RST but can’t find how to do this for Intel Optane Memory and Storage Management.

The directions I have for this procedure for “Intel RST” is below:

1. Turn off the system and remove one of the drives.
  2. Replace it with a drive larger in capacity.
  3. Turn on the system and boot into Windows*.
  4. Open the Intel® Rapid Storage Technology user interface (Start > All Programs > Intel > Intel® Rapid Storage Technology).
  5. Click Rebuild to another disk.
  6. Select the newly added drive and click Rebuild.
  7. Allow the rebuild to complete.
  8. Restart the system and enter the Intel® Rapid Storage Technology option ROM by pressing CTRL+I when prompted.
  9. Click Reset Disks to Non-RAID.
NoteYou may see a dialog box warning you of data loss. This warning does not apply to RAID 1; you will still be able to access your data.

1. Click Yes to confirm.
  2. Click Exit and shut off the system.
  3. Remove the original (smaller) drive from the system. This will leave only the new (higher capacity) drive, acting as a single drive (it is no longer part of a RAID volume).
  4. Turn on the system and boot into Windows. You may need to change the drive priority in the BIOS.
  5. From within Windows, use the Windows computer management tools or a third-party partitioning software to resize the drive partition so that it uses the entire capacity of the drive.
  6. Turn off the system and attach the second large drive.
  7. Turn on the system and boot into Windows.
  8. Open the Intel Rapid Storage Technology user interface and click the Create icon.
  9. Follow the prompts to create a new RAID 1 volume. Your data will then be migrated from the single large drive to the new RAID 1 volume.
The directions for RST seem to apply but when it gets to the “steps 8 through steps 12” booting into the BIOS Legacy Option ROM with CTRL+I, I do not believe that this exists in Secure Boot and Optane Memory and Storage Management.

Would I have to go into the BIOS and disable Secure Boot then enable Legacy Option ROM to make CTRL+I work?

*** or ***

My hopes would be that I would be able to simply:

Remove one smaller SSD and replace with larger SSD, tell Intel Optane to rebuild the array.

After rebuild completes, remove the other smaller SSD and replace with larger SSD, tell Optane to rebuild the array again.

After rebuild completes, go into Windows Disk Management and resize the array to the new larger size.

Would this be a viable option or is there another way to do this?

For backing up prior to doing any of this, I will be using Acronis to make a full image of the array prior to attempting any of this.

Thanks for any help!

Jul 15, 2024
What is driving the requirement to use RAID-1 (or any RAID for that matter)?

There is little to be gained by using or implementing RAID.

Also is this the same build that is having the fan/drive problems?
We are a 24/7 agency that utilizes raid-1 so if one drive fails, the critical system does not go down and allows time to replace and rebuild the drive with minimal down time.

Not sure what you mean with the fan/drive problems. I saw someone else have a post about that is maybe what you are referring to possibly. I had replied to them about a possible power supply concern.

Ralston18

Titan
fan/drive:

I was referering to this post:

https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...ns-are-also-plugged-in.3849391/#post-23300477

Your post mentioned "problems at work" and I had the off track thought that there was an overlap with the RAID questions.

My question regarding fan/drive now appears moot.

As for the RAID-1 rebuild I will defer to those who have more knowledge of and experience with commercial level 24/7 RAID configurations.