Question How to install a second drive for a laptop and choose where to install windows and Ubuntu. Maximize performance.

May 18, 2023
Hello!
I was thinking of upgrading my storage. It's currently 1 TB NVMe M2. No partitions, Windows 11 home.

I'm thinking of buying a Samsung 990 2 TB.
My laptop is Alienware m15 R7 with an Nvidia GeForce 3080

What would be the best configuration for two drives?
I want to:
  • Play and install steam games (heavy ones).
  • Install Ubuntu and dual boot with Windows 11 pro (I will buy a key for Pro, btw, do you recommend a safe and cheap site for purchasing a key?)
  • Use video editing software from time to time

Considering this, I have some doubts:
Will it make a difference if I install windows in the first socket of drives or the second (currently empty) socket? If so, Should I install windows on the first or second drive?
Should I make a partition on any of the drives? If so, on which? How big? (considering I want to also install Ubuntu and double boot).

What would be the best configuration? (performance in general, in games, etc.).

Thanks in advance!

Samsung 990 is a gen 4 drive; I couldn't quickly find out if the Alienware motherboard supports gen 4.

Do you intend to put Windows and Ubuntu on different drives? Or on different partitions on the same drive?

Generally...you'd probably want Windows on the fastest drive, assuming that the port for that drive will support its fastest speed.

May 18, 2023
Samsung 990 is a gen 4 drive; I couldn't quickly find out if the Alienware motherboard supports gen 4.

Do you intend to put Windows and Ubuntu on different drives? Or on different partitions on the same drive?

Generally...you'd probably want Windows on the fastest drive, assuming that the port for that drive will support its fastest speed.
Hi!
I was looking at Dell's specs for this laptop:

And this is what it says about the two ports for storage:
"PCIe Gen4 x4 NVMe, up to 64 Gbps"

I suppose this guarantees the samsung 990 pro will work, right?

Regarding the way I would install both OS, that's what I'm trying to decide. I want to make the best decision. Should I install windows on the first drive (the one on the main port for storage) or on the second?

Furthermore, should I install Windows on the samsung 990 pro 2TB? (which is better than the 1 TB drive the laptop came with).

According to what you said, I should install Windows on the Samsung 990 pro and place this ssd on the port that supports it, but apparently both ports do, so I guess it won't make a difference?
thanks

Hi!
I was looking at Dell's specs for this laptop:

And this is what it says about the two ports for storage:
"PCIe Gen4 x4 NVMe, up to 64 Gbps"

I suppose this guarantees the samsung 990 pro will work, right?

Regarding the way I would install both OS, that's what I'm trying to decide. I want to make the best decision. Should I install windows on the first drive (the one on the main port for storage) or on the second?

Furthermore, should I install Windows on the samsung 990 pro 2TB? (which is better than the 1 TB drive the laptop came with).

According to what you said, I should install Windows on the Samsung 990 pro and place this ssd on the port that supports it, but apparently both ports do, so I guess it won't make a difference?
thanks
Windows are best off on fast drive, Linux depending on particular distro not so much. You didn't say which exact MVMe you have now as performance can vary widely.
As for dual BOOT it's best to keep each OS on it's own disk and to keep the other disk disblaed while installing each OS,