Question How to install libdvdcss-2.dll (any non-Microsoft MPEG-2 video extension) on Windows 10

Dec 14, 2022
I would like to watch video from MPEG-2 files using Windows Media Player and Movies & TV without installing MPEG-2 Video Extension from Microsoft Store. Can I install libdvdcss-2.dll to substitute? Is there any other widely available MPEG-2 video extension to allow to do only that?

Dec 14, 2022
Installing K-Lite codec pack does not make its codec available outside K-Lite and thus MPC is included.
I am looking for a method to make libdvdcss-2.dll available to all Windows apps or particular ones. Is it not enough to copy it to a particular directory, as in the case of HandBrake (the folder w/ its *.exe file)? Maybe to add a line to Windows registry, etc.?

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
sorry no idea. long time ago when i needed to play a file, i found this pack, installed it and never looked back.

last time i used media player was back when media center was still a thing. been using MPC and this codec pack ever since.

quick google search turned up this

https://www.videoconverterfactory.com/tips/codecs-for-windows-media-player.html

part 3 seems to explain how to install the codec pack i suggested and use it with media player.

any search about codec packs all point to k-lite as it is the best :)

Dec 14, 2022
I did not want also to install VLC media player, which uses the same codec pack. I wanted to install only MPEG-2 codec. So, yesterday, I tried to install codec for only several video formats from K-Lite Codec Pack Basic v. 17.3 using the Advanced Installation Mode and it did not work. But, today, I install the new (released today) v. 17.3.5 using the Normal Installation Mode while accepting all defaults and it did work.
So the problem was solved. K-Lite Codec Pack Basic v. 17.3.5 is the software to install using the Normal Installation Mode, as the Advanced Installation Mode is a minefield requiring a really advanced expertise.
Thank you for the help.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
glad it worked. pretty much any search for "i need a codec" points at that pack.

you should be good to go for anything and everything now even with the basic pack. i use the standard one but using the included MPC does make it easy to use standard settings and just let it go.