Question How to install memory of different makes and sizes.

braeseven

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2016
I have been using a 4gb ram chip in my Asus P8P67 LE mb and earlier today acquired a 2gb chip and a pair of 4gb chips. I was hoping to run the pair of 4's with the 4 I was already using, but for some reason the slots on the 4gb pair don't line up even though they are also ddr3. I then tried to add the new 2gb chip to the original 4gb chip and use both chips for a total of 6gb, but can't seem to get that to work either. Individually, the 4gb chip only seems to work in the first slot (A1) and the 2gb chip only seems to work in the second slot (A2). As of yet my pc has not booted with both chips installed. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

mb: asus P8P67 LE
cpu: intel i7-2600
ram: Kingston 4GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (original)
Samsung 2GB DDR3 10600E (new)
Patriot Viper 3 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 CL9 1600 (new)

Last edited:

atljsf

Honorable
BANNED
when the modules are different sizes, manufacturer, and also timings, it is not guaranteed they will work together

when the modules are different sizes, you can't use them on dual channel, you need to use them on a single channel, on the first channel

so put on a1 the 4gbs module and on a2 the 2gb one

b1 and b2 is the secondary channel, if you put ram there or will not be detected, pc will not boot or will detect it incorrectly, detect half or 512mbs, something like that

braeseven

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2016
Thanks for your feedback
when the modules are different sizes, manufacturer, and also timings, it is not guaranteed they will work together

when the modules are different sizes, you can't use them on dual channel, you need to use them on a single channel, on the first channel

so put on a1 the 4gbs module and on a2 the 2gb one

b1 and b2 is the secondary channel, if you put ram there or will not be detected, pc will not boot or will detect it incorrectly, detect half or 512mbs, something like that

So I did as you suggested, and even though the pc seemed to startup, the red mem light was on the whole time and had no video at all. I tried switching the chips in the first channel slots and same thing. Also, after installing the new 2gb chip, going back to the original 4gb chip that I've been using for months (A1) the pc just tries to start and then restarts in a loop. The 2gb chip is working (A1) but now the 4gb is not.