Question How to install Notepad on Windows 10 without internet

wudevr

Honorable
Nov 22, 2015
Notepad was uninstalled on some Windows 10 systems that are not internet connected.
How to install Notepad on these systems?

Notepad is a core component of Windows 10 and the only systems that didn't have it at all are pirated or "lite" versions, which are essentially the same thing, and some few enterprise installations as well. If it's a pirated or "lite" version, then the conversation is over as we do not help with piracy related issues of any kind, but if it is an enterprise version then you can try the following solutions as recommended elsewhere. If the system doesn't have ANY internet access, then you will probably be SOL unless the application is there and simply wasn't "installed" due to the installation configuration.

https://www.thewindowsclub.com/notepad-missing-in-windows

USAFRet

Titan
And just as a proof of concept, I just installed a vanilla Win 10 Pro 21H2, in a VM, with no network access.

Notepad is there, just as expected.
GXbaE3m.jpg

So, what Windows version are you using, and where did it come from?

USAFRet

Titan
It was uninstalled with an over aggressive Win 10 debloater script
One more of the 863 reasons to not use junk applications like that.
Plus, running a random script you find on the interwebs, without knowing exactly what it is doing.

Without any network access, you are probably out of luck.

Do these systems NEED Notepad?
Why no network access, and can they be connected?

Alternate - NotePad++ https://notepad-plus-plus.org/downloads/
Download, put it on a flash drive, install.

Reactions: CompuGuy71
D

Deleted member 14196

Still you need to read them because if you don’t know what the script is doing then you could be screwing yourself. There’s a good windows debloater on github that doesn’t do any damage and I use it. The reason I use these tools it’s because I don’t like Microsoft running random performance metrics against me constantly using my disk and making my cooling system howl. So there is a good reason to debloat. This is my computer not theirs they are not allowed to steal my bandwidth and they’re not allowed to steal other information off of my computer so I will go to any links necessary to disable unwarranted telemetry

I paid for the operating system ms can screw off

USAFRet

Titan
Still you need to read them because if you don’t know what the script is doing then you could be screwing yourself. There’s a good windows debloater on github that doesn’t do any damage and I use it. The reason I use these tools it’s because I don’t like Microsoft running random performance metrics against me constantly using my disk and making my cooling system howl. So there is a good reason to debloat. This is my computer not theirs they are not allowed to steal my bandwidth and they’re not allowed to steal other information off of my computer so I will go to any links necessary to disable unwarranted telemetry
The question here is...what else did this debloater do?

Some of these things not only 'remove' some stuff that people might not want, but install things they REALLY do not want.

D

Deleted member 14196

That’s why I agree with you that you must read through the Scripts before you just run them. Absolutely a must

The one that I use just removes all the bloatware like the games and silly stuff that you never asked for in the first place and it disables a bunch of the telemetry so your computer is a lot more quiet on the network front

It has never once removed any core piece of windows and I have not lost one piece of functionality

D

Deleted member 14196

Oh and one more thing as usually mentioned, before running any scripts, even after you’ve read them, do a backup of your system and verify that it’s good, just so if anything goes wrong you can roll back the changes

I follow @USAFRet backup system using Macrium. I never really worry about such things anymore

Notepad is an integral part of Windows.

How did it get "uninstalled"?
mine got removed on some older windows build aswell, it got removed on its own :)
and never came back on its own
you can google notepad missing aint uncommon

well older windows build had the old notepad in windows folder
new build have it in windows apps folder (as its UWP now)

so microsoft store needed

Last edited:
mine got removed on some older windows build aswell, it got removed on its own :)
and never came back on its own
you can google notepad missing aint uncommon

well older windows build had the old notepad in windows folder
new build have it in windows apps folder (as its UWP now)

so microsoft store needed
I have win11 and it still has notepad in the windows folder, version 10 something, it does also have the winapps version which is v.11 something

I have win11 and it still has notepad in the windows folder, version 10 something, it does also have the winapps version which is v.11 something
11 has it, and last win10 install has it aswell, just sayin some old win update was removing it