Question How to Install OpenWrt on a Netis WF2409E Router?

Aug 6, 2024
I'm trying to install OpenWrt on my Netis WF2409E router. Unfortunately, I couldn't find any official support for this model on the OpenWrt website. Despite this, I still want to attempt the installation.

Here are my questions:

1. Has anyone successfully installed OpenWrt on the Netis WF2409E?
2. Are there any compatible firmware versions or community builds available for this model?
3. What risks are involved in installing OpenWrt on an unsupported router?
4. Can someone provide a step-by-step guide or any tips for the installation process?

Any advice or guidance would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!
-Muhammed Hasan

4MB flash and 32MB RAM devices are no longer supported by OpenWRT and the last build to support that was 19.07.10 from 2022 without a GUI (as there wasn't enough room so it was commandline-only)

Try DD-WRT, they support Broadcom much better than OpenWRT, which is generally only used wired-only without radios for Broadcom chipsets due to the lack of drivers. This is both because Broadcom couldn't be bothered to write a proprietary driver for such old hardware on later kernels (they'd much rather you bought a new router to make them more money), and OpenWRT wouldn't use a non-open driver anyway. DD-WRT still uses kernels 2.4 and 2.6 (which the device originally came with) for 4MB routers