Question I had an odd issue with my PC today

Craig234

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2006
Windows 10 of course. After the PC has been running for weeks, I was reading another forum page, and the screen was replaced with a flash of the monitor logo and then black.

The keyboard was totally inactive - alt-tab, ctrl-alt-delete, etc., nothing had an effect. I could heard the hard drive continuing, not a shutdown.

I gave it several minutes, no change. I finally gave up, and help the case power button a few seconds. But it didn't seem to power off, HD still active.

After a matter of seconds, I forget what I did, somehow the screen came up with the Windows password prompt.

I entered the password - and the previous session was still active, though some programs had been shut down and numerous unsaved notepad sessions had 'do you want to save the file'.

A number of strange things, why it happened, why it didn't power off, what made it come back with a password screen.

Jul 10, 2024
Wouldn't hurt to do a virus/malware scan using a boot disk just to make sure you don't have something nasty in there. Some wierd stuff going on ???