Question how to install RGB fans with 3 pin onto motherboard with 4 pin connectors?

simonz93

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2015
Hi! My motherboard is Asus ROG Z390E and I bought 3 fractal design prismal AL 120 fans for the case (Thermaltake level 20 MT). But I cannot seem to connect the fans because each fan comes with 2 cables, both of which are 3 pin, but the motherboard only has 4 pins fan connectors.

What should I do in this case? Appreciate your help!

M3rKn

Respectable
Nov 13, 2019
Thanks for the reply, but the problem is that the 3 pins are not consecutive. there is one that doesn't have a hole so I cannot plug it into the 4 pin headers. Please see the first image for what I mean.
View: https://imgur.com/a/qIebkEz

That's not a 3 pin or 4 pin fan connection, that's Addressable-RGB, your mobo has one available ARGB header if you are not already using it. You also have 2 standard RGB headers. The second pic is a USB header, do not connect any RGB or ARGB to that. The third cable you are showing is SATA, I am assuming the fans you bought come with a controller to power your fans in case you don't have enough headers. Typically your fans will connect to the controller, sata powers the fans from the controller, and one cable (usually) a 2 pin will go directly to one of your mobo 4 pin headers to send a PWM signal to the fans. Your mobo has a total of 4, 4 pin fan headers, but none of your pics show those connections so you may be mistaking them for the ARGB connections.

Reactions: simonz93

simonz93

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2015
That's not a 3 pin or 4 pin fan connection, that's Addressable-RGB, your mobo has one available ARGB header if you are not already using it. You also have 2 standard RGB headers. The second pic is a USB header, do not connect any RGB or ARGB to that. The third cable you are showing is SATA, I am assuming the fans you bought come with a controller to power your fans in case you don't have enough headers. Typically your fans will connect to the controller, sata powers the fans from the controller, and one cable (usually) a 2 pin will go directly to one of your mobo 4 pin headers to send a PWM signal to the fans. Your mobo has a total of 4, 4 pin fan headers, but none of your pics show those connections so you may be mistaking them for the ARGB connections.
thank you! Sorry the 2nd and 3rd pictures were for another thread, only the first pic was meant for this thread, but thanks for your informative reply!
Unfortunately this pack of fractal design fans did not come with a fan controller...so I will exchange them for something else because I don't have enough headers for all of them.
Once again, thank you!

simonz93

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2015
I disassembled the PC to look around but still couldn't find the cable. I've uploaded a picture of the chassis panel. All fans are properly connected . Fan 4 is a fan I added myself and it works, but the 3 preinstalled fans still do not work and I have no idea where/how to connect them without finding the cable.
View: https://imgur.com/a/kQebCqP