How to install StarCraft 2? Driving me crazy.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Raccoon Goon

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2011
On my 8th hour if you can believe it trying to install SCII. Now i get home and what do you know it, my sister bought me SCII. I'm sleepy as all hell so i just want to install it and go to bed. Little did i know this was just the beginning of my ordeal that was yet to come. Half way through the installation it says an error. Something about a file being corrupted and needing to be reinstalled. I look at the disk and see a few minor scuffs. Strange. I clean it, and it downloads. So where done here? Nope.

The Updates begin downloading at a snails pace, 40 mb took like 25 minutes. Then after about 2 hours of updates, it says the same error, but for the update. Okay. maybe i just need to download the update, its like 300 plus mb. So i decide to skip that and just download the enitre game from Blizzard. I've just tried 3 times. The first time it was literally telling me it was gong to take 70 plus hours to download 7 gbs, i've downloaded 9gb in about 10 hours, i'm a little mad at this point. But it gets worse. The download just stops, i try it again and it won't continue. So i try another download and it says i need to verify that i can download SCII, so i log in on Blizzard and i literally need to download the game again. It starts and then after about 2.25 mb, it stops and does nothing.

Now to anyone who has purchased this game recently, how the hell do you actually install this game. Do i just need to install the patch manually? Cause i'm at the point right now where i'm just going to e-mail customer support I've never had to deal with such an installion in my entire life, on ANY game i've ever purchased. I own 3 other Blizzard games and i've never had any of these problems, its sad cause of how well the developer/publisher is known and yet i'm dealing with something like this.

Solution
When I first dled the game from Blizzard it was going slow until I un-checked a box that has something to do with peer to peer transferring(cant remember exactly what it was called but you should be able to see it from view->preferences). But if that doesnt help I would try another CD (should just be able to trade CDs at whatever store it was bought from I have done that before), and if those dont work I would give torrents a try.

And for your update errors, does this occur even when you have dled the game instead of using the CD? I would give the SC2 repair tool a shot

pythonic13

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2010
Wow, didnt expect a response like that haha but ok, you seem to have misread my comment I know its not "luck" when it comes to this, and I'm not really sure where you got the idea that I thought my clean installation was lucky lol but thanks for the amusing post. I would not have used the term luck if I thought you would have been so upset over the term, I would have said an unfortunate occurrence or something along those lines.

The whole part about Blizzards track record was more for fyasko when he/she stated they were thinking of not buying Diablo 3, I was trying to show that Blizzards previous games did not have the installation bugs or technical hiccups or whatever term would please you Raccoon and to understand that they will obviously not make that same mistake in their next game for if they do I will agree with you fyasko that they should not be calling themselves Blizzard anymore.

Raccoon Goon

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2011

I hope Diablo 3 is nothing like what Installing SCII was like. I'm mad because i'm finding it hard to have faith or believe that Blizzard won't do this with Diablo 3, mainly because there not even fixing the issue with SCII as if its not important enough to fix. Is sad because i'm making notes of what needs to be done to install, patch, code and maintain the overall game. I don't need to be doing this, Blizzard does. Hell if they had this on steam, the patching and installation of Steam would had just fixed more then 3/4 of the problems.

For gods sake even there patching is dated, its not just one patch, its every patch they've ever released for the game. So instead of just patching the download and then having the latest patch out, they leave teh download exactingly the same and just have you patch your game from day 1's patch. Thats just straight lazy, i've haven't had to patch a game like that in more then 10 years.

haphestus

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2011
Sorry to hear about this ordeal, however I own the game and cant say i had any of your problems. This is not to sit hear and " HAHA" at you but, do you believe that this is an isolated incident?

A thought to consider, you commented on the slow download speeds. Have you any firewall software that could be impeding this? It may-not be on your computer and maybe in your router it's self.? If you have you should allow access for the ports that blizzard use, for game play and patching.

I did this and saw a big improvement in speeds.

I do hope you have played the game now and your happy as this is a fantastic game and one of the richest story lines I have come across so far.

Cheers

Raccoon Goon

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2011

Isolated? Don't think so, i googled it and just about everyone else is having the same problem. I got the game up and running by literally ripping the contents of the dvd and manually taking the corrupted files and getting new ones from a bit torrent site, i downloaded the patch and manually put it in. Bro, its Blizzard. There downloader results in errors, there updater results in error, but its me? So i download the patch and it works? I rip the game from the DVD and it works? If it was my computer don't you think that every method would not work?

I Download a lot of games from Steam and other site and install lots of retail games and this has never happened. Its them. Best way to get this game to work (if it doesn't work for you at first) is to avoid installing it the way Blizzard says, rip it from the DVD, install, look for corrupted files and replace them with torrent files, download the latest patch from a 3rd party site and manually put it in. This is the only way i got the game to work. My rig is as new as one could be. Barley 3 months old. Hey if its my rig, expect me to be posting this about EVERYGAME!

to point out one simple thing. blizzard has been using P2P in their downloader for a while now (same as torrenting) so if you have issues with torrenting you will have issues with download speeds from blizzard. This doesn't apply to steam because they don't use P2P, they have dedicated servers for direct downloads.

The corrupted data is ofcourse no excuse for Blizzard, but there are plenty of ways to remedy that.

Raccoon Goon

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2011

Exactly my point. There are ways to "remedy" and troubleshoot theses problems, but why am i doing it and not Blizzard? I don't publish there games nor own there ip, so exactly why is it my job to troubleshoot there damn games? To say ANYONE needs to do this to get a game to work is on the fault of the developer and publisher.

This is just unacceptable, i thought i got a defective disk until i googled it and turned out there where hundreds if not thousands of boards and threads talking about the same issue, dating for even the games release. No patch has fixed it, they didn't get dedicated servers...nothing.

Raccoon Goon

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2011

Nothing to it? So...awareness is nothing? I need to say *** like this because people need to know its not just them, its Blizzards method of delivering the game. Plus there are a number of people already trying to build one up against Blizzard because of there little error that causes GPU's to over heat, this has been admitted by Blizzard and its resulted in people's GPU's getting fried. You may call it "venting" but believe me, someone out there will read this and realized its not just them.

Thats time not wasted, reinstalling SCII, reinstalling Windows 7, deleting and reinstalling numerous drivers etc. If you want to wear rose tinted glasses then thats your choice, but i'm not going to ignore facts about this game to the public. You really don't need to hear, or read any of this seeing how this didn't seemingly effect you in anyway, but don't try to tell others to stay silent on the facts about this game. You don't need to take my word on it. Google it :)

Status
Not open for further replies.