How to install thermal compound?

g335

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2008
Hello

I bought a aftermarket liquid cooler.

The instructions for the cooler says to tint the coolers connection pad. Which says spread the thermal compound onto the surface of the coolers pad with a credit card and than wipe off the excess.
Then it says to apply the thermal compound onto the cpu as normal.

Is this good to do?

Solution
I prefer to put a drop about the size of a grain of rice on the very center of the metal CPU lid. Then install the cooler block being careful to lower the cooler block as straight downward on the CPU lid as you can. Firmly secure the 4 screws around the cooler block by doing alternating sides until all 4 are nice and tight, but don't go crazy and break anything in the process. The thermal paste will fill in any ridges and valleys in between the two metal surfaces as it spreads outward, and it will be doing what we want it to do for us.

If you have any doubts, there are tons of how-to videos on that up on YouTube. Watch a few of them. Then you will know exactly what to do before you do it.

There is also this article to help you. Its a...
I personally use credit card method:
Some video https://www.youtube.com/watch?annotation_id=annotation_461720&feature=iv&src_vid=EyXLu1Ms-q4&v=ffK7L0Qj13Q

About pea method and intel some models have so large chip under ihs that this method can not cover entire chip area.
i74770KDe-Lid.png

I prefer to put a drop about the size of a grain of rice on the very center of the metal CPU lid. Then install the cooler block being careful to lower the cooler block as straight downward on the CPU lid as you can. Firmly secure the 4 screws around the cooler block by doing alternating sides until all 4 are nice and tight, but don't go crazy and break anything in the process. The thermal paste will fill in any ridges and valleys in between the two metal surfaces as it spreads outward, and it will be doing what we want it to do for us.

If you have any doubts, there are tons of how-to videos on that up on YouTube. Watch a few of them. Then you will know exactly what to do before you do it.

There is also this article to help you. Its a bit more than you need, but the info definitely applies for what you are going to do.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/thermal-paste-heat-sink-heat-spreader,3600.html

Solution

LetsPlayThisBro

Honorable
Mar 14, 2015

Try the pea method, seat it, then unseat it, it spreads evenly over the whole of the heat shield. There are videos which show it being applied to a piece of glass to show the spread. Most methods are ok and work fine, the hard part is making sure you put enough, while not putting too much and to secure the heatsink very snugly and evenly.

Pickiing a particular method is kind of like picking a particular CPU AMD vs Intel, in the end it depends on how you intend to use the rig and what your budget it, it's a matter of personal preference and how it's to be used. If you feel better using the credit card method, have it it, the X method, enjoy, pea method it's all good.... because in the end if you did it wrong it will show when you do your benchmarking and stress tests and you can clean it off, reapply and reseat it.

I use coffee filters and 91% alcohol to remove thermal compound.... that's one I'm rigid on because coffee filters unlike toilet paper or paper towel or even cotton balls are lint free, lest you like lint with your coffee.

That works, and those little square Prep Pad things doctors and nurses use before giving someone a shot work well too, even though the Isopropyl Alcohol is only 70% on most of those. 2 or 3 squares, and the CPU looks like the day it was new.