How to install win 7 pro 64 and win xp 32 in RAID1 & as dual boot?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

popflier

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2010
Hi...I have just put a brand new system together with some assistance from a few members in another part of the forum. My previous system was running on win xp pr 32bit and I was running highly intensive graphics programs (3D animation/rendering software - Maya, ZBrush, Realflow, Mudbox, etc...), video rendering programs, and music production software (Cubase SX, Reason, etc...). I was using 2 WD Raptor drives only for my OS and programs with 1 as a backup clone and the other in the system. On my new system I have cleared all data off of my 2 Raptors, set them up as I want in a RAID 1 configuration, and upgraded to windows 7 pro 64bit. Because I still have so many programs that I use on win XP 32bit I wanted to setup a dual boot setup. Because I need as much processing power as I can get I want to set it up as a dual boot and not as virtualization. I'm not exactly sure how to go about setting this up. Can someone help get me started so I understand what I'm doing?

Right now I have placed only 1 partition on my raptor drives and I have configured them for a RAID 1 array. I have installed Win 7 pro 64bit successfully. How do I install win xp pro 32bit in a dual boot setup with this? Do I need to, wipe both drives, create 2 partitions and install win7 pro in one partition and then win xp pro in the other? If so, how do i actually install a dual setup with a RAID 1 array?

I could use just a bit of help here. This is the first time I have built my own system, setting up RAID, and creating a dual boot setup.

Thanks for any input!