How to keep all of my stuff when installing windows 10

Status
Not open for further replies.

emlynw

Reputable
Jun 7, 2014
I bought my pc on ebay last year and i'm on windows 8.1. I don't have the activation key and my windows is not activated so I can't get the free upgrade to windows 10. If I buy windows 10, how can I install it and keep all of the files and programs that I have now without losing anything?

Thanks

Solution

It has been stated many times that unactivated Windows installations can still upgrade to Windows 10. What message appears when you try to upgrade through the media creation tool?

orlbuckeye

Distinguished
Well you don't need a key for Windows 8.1 if it's fully activated. All you need to do is the upgrade and then if you 8.1 is activated Windows 10 will be re-activated independent of Windows 8.1. If you upgrade you only replace the OS and not your data filed but it's allways a good idea to back up data anyways.

Slashgeek

Admirable
Type "See if Windows is activated" in Start. In the window that appears, if "Windows is activated" is written, that means you are eligible for the upgrade to Windows 10. If it does not appear, or if you know you are running an unactivated copy of Windows 8.1, you can still upgrade to Windows 10, but you will have an unregistered OS that will require you to buy a Windows 10 disc.

To perform the upgrade, use the Windows media creation tool here:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

You may input the product key after installation.

emlynw

Reputable
Jun 7, 2014

Thanks for the reply. My windows isn't activated so I need a way to install windows 10 and keep all of my files without upgrading, because I can't upgrade. Have updated the question to say this.

emlynw

Reputable
Jun 7, 2014
My windows isn't activated so I can't upgrade.

Slashgeek

Admirable

It has been stated many times that unactivated Windows installations can still upgrade to Windows 10. What message appears when you try to upgrade through the media creation tool?

Solution

emlynw

Reputable
Jun 7, 2014
Sorry didn't try and select that as best solution, what's the media creation tool?

emlynw

Reputable
Jun 7, 2014
Sorry didn't try and select that as best solution, what's the media creation tool?

Slashgeek

Admirable

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

This is the Windows 10 media creation tool. Download and run it and it will allow you to upgrade to Windows 10.

emlynw

Reputable
Jun 7, 2014
I'm currently on windows 8.1 pro because I bought the pc with it already installed, if I want to use the media creation tool to upgrade do I have to upgrade to windows 10 pro or can I upgrade to the home version because I would rather buy the home version's activation key because it is cheaper.

Thanks

pjmartin

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2005
The free windows 10 upgrade is only good if you have a legal version of 8.1. If you're sure you can't activate your 8.1 then the media creation tool won't work. If you think your 8.1 is legal try activating it. If it's not then buy any version of windows 10 and choose to keep your files and settings during the installation. It should come with an activation code or product key, whatever they're using with windows 10.

emlynw

Reputable
Jun 7, 2014
Ah didn't know that I could keep my files and settings when installing it new. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.