[SOLVED] How to keep applications on second monitor when playing a game fullscreen on first

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 27, 2019
Every time I open a game and make it fullscreen it brings the application on my second monitor (discord, google chrome, etc) to my main monitor I play on behind the game. I minimize the game move them back and open the game and it does the same thing over again.

Reactions: Clutch_1_up
Solution
I think the icons are being automatically rearranged.

https://windows.tips.net/T006814_Arranging_Desktop_Icons_Automatically.html

If the above does not resolve the problem there are still other things you can do:

Double check what all is being launched at startup and consider that some customization by an app may be happening. Or maybe some tool or control panel that got installed.

Take a look at gaming and keyboard settings via "WIN" + "I" > Gaming and also "WIN" + "I" > Keyboard.

Mostly as a matter of elimination if nothing else.

GPU: Go to the manufacturer's website to download, reinstall, and reconfigure the GPU drivers.

Ralston18

Titan
Not sure about what is happening.

Question: When you press "WIN" + "P" what option do you select?

I would expect "Extend".

If you have two windows (one being the game being played and the second window being another application) drag the game window to the main monitor. And the other window (or windows) to the second monitor.

Right clicking an open area on the desktop should provide the necessary options via some Control Panel to select and configure/order the display screens.

Nov 27, 2019
Not sure about what is happening.

Question: When you press "WIN" + "P" what option do you select?

I would expect "Extend".

If you have two windows (one being the game being played and the second window being another application) drag the game window to the main monitor. And the other window (or windows) to the second monitor.

Right clicking an open area on the desktop should provide the necessary options via some Control Panel to select and configure/order the display screens.

Yeah its on extend and I have already made sure the displays are 1 and 2.

Ralston18

Titan
I think the icons are being automatically rearranged.

https://windows.tips.net/T006814_Arranging_Desktop_Icons_Automatically.html

If the above does not resolve the problem there are still other things you can do:

Double check what all is being launched at startup and consider that some customization by an app may be happening. Or maybe some tool or control panel that got installed.

Take a look at gaming and keyboard settings via "WIN" + "I" > Gaming and also "WIN" + "I" > Keyboard.

Mostly as a matter of elimination if nothing else.

GPU: Go to the manufacturer's website to download, reinstall, and reconfigure the GPU drivers.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.