gerwar

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2011
Hello, i have a problem with my pc, it doesn't boot. I think that it might be the cpu, because when i press the power button, the fans are working fine (a bit faster than usually), but in the screen doesnt appear anything. I'm also sure that the Hard drive works, beacuase i managed to extract the information with another computer. Please help me i dont know what is causing the problem. Thank you in advance.

Without knowing the configuration and any other symptoms you might have seen before this condition arose,, the most likely culprits are power supply followed by video card if one is being used.

However, there are many other possibilities. If you can tell us more, we may be able to narrow things down.

yes it could be your cpu--could also be your graphics--or motherboard or even memory or psu

only way to know if its the cpu is to try it in another pc that takes the same type of cpu or borrow a similar cpu and try it in yours

i assume its not a new build? as you said fans are faster than usual

if you have a graphics card and onboard graphics try taking the card out and connecting to the motherboard graphics to see if the graphics card is faulty

gerwar

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2011
Ok thank you for your rapid response. It is a Compaq presario sr5020la, it doesnt have any added or modified hardware.
The problem started the day before yestarday, i turned on the computer and started normally, and then it rebooted by itself, then i tried one more time but this time it doesnt even show me the startup logo of compaq, it doesnt even show anything on the screen. Then when i tried again later not even the led corresponding to the power button turned on. As i said before, only the fans and the dvd recorder tray seams to work, other than that dead. hope this description help me with my problem.

gerwar

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2011

Thank you for your advice, i don't think the problem is with psu, because the fans are good and the dvd recorder tray seams to work.

Lights, fans, and the dvd tray working do not change the fact that - given the info you have provided - the PSU is the #1 candidate as the cause of your problem. Those devices require almost no power compared to the rest of the load.

Tell us your configuration (or the make/model if a prebuilt PC) including the make/model/rating of your PSU.

gerwar

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2011

PC model: Compaq sr5020la (without any added or modified hardware)
PSU model: Bestec ATX-300-12z

Edit: Another thing which tells me the problem might be more to do with the CPU than with the PSU is that it doesnt produce any noise when i turn on the computer. The Hard drive seams to work, i hear it spinning. But im not 100% sure if it is the CPU.

gerwar

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2011

You've been already really helpful thank you very much. If i found a solution to the problem i sure will post it, but for no on i'll be struggling with the problem. Thank you

gerwar

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2011
i tried the next troubleshooting:
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=bph06788&tmp_task=solveCategory&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&product=3434976#N209

And i did the steps in the part called "Power Supply light is on or flashes", i from that steps i realize that my problem has to do with the motherboard and the on-board hardware (like the motherboard itself, the CPU, PCI device, etc.). But i can't tell exactly which component is the one that cause the problem, i already tried to disconnect all the components i connect one at a time. But produce the same result, not booting. From that inspection i think the main options here are: the CPU or the Motherboard