How to know if the chip has overclockability?

Bohica

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2001
How will i know if my athlon 1.2 (266) will have the ability to overclock? What am i looking for on the chip to see if it can? i read posts on something about the chip and closed bridges but i'm not exactly sure what they are or even look like.

flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
That's to see if the multiplier is locked. On athlons it's unlocked, so u can either OC via bios (FSB OC), or set jumpers- FSB or multiplier OC. Please make sure you have a VERY, VERY good cooling system, or else it'll end up on a keychain.

Your brain: PC
You brain on drugs: Mac

Bohica

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2001
i have no intent of overclocking but to know i can is cool. i'm still struggling to figure out which hsf i should get though. i don't want something that is a pain in the ass to install or something that won't cool sufficiently.

i'm leaning torwards the sk6 all copper and is normal in size.

FatBurger

Illustrious
<A HREF="http://www.coolerguys.com/cpucool/duron.shtml" target="_new">This</A> will be sufficient, and it's cheap. Volcano 6u. And all proceeds go to the Red Cross, so it's a good time to buy.

<font color=green>I post so you don't have to!
9/11 - RIP</font color=green>

Uncle_joe

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2001
The only way to realy know if you can OC your CPU is to try.
(The bridges on 1.2 should be closed by default.)

Breaking news: Intel hit by a SledgeHammer! AMD to blame! More in just a moment...

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
Take your chip, now sniff it, get a good whiff. Does it smell like a winner? If so overclock that puppy!

Just kidding, actually most athlon 1.2ghs chips will do 1.4, just a matter of decent cooling. I reccomend thermoengine for that level, or the newer swifttech's, many hardware sites do hsf roundups every other day.(way too many if you ask me.) try anandtech, hardocp, athlonoc or any other site for more info.

~Matisaro~
"The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark"
~Tbird1.3@1.5~