Question How to limit the the maximum turbo core frequency for a Ryzen 7 7700 without downclocking all cores ?

mafi

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2008
I have I Ryzen 7 7700 and an MSI PRO B650M-P motherboard.

When my PC is loading something or even when I am gaming, some cores or even all cores reach 5350 Mhz. I don't want it because it means high voltage, a lot of heat and a noisy CPU cooler.

I have in BIOS the option to set "CPU Boost Clock Override" to "Negative" and then adjust "Max CPU Boost Clock Override", to 350 Mhz, let's say. In this case the maximum turbo core frequency will be 5000 Mhz but it downclocks all cores.

I'm playing Cyberpunk 2077 and I monitor CPU frequency with MSI Afterburner. Some cores reach 5350 Mhz while others only reach 3850 Mhz. After setting the Max CPU Boost Clock Override to negative 350, Cores will max at 5000 Mhz but lower clocked cores will be downlocked too. (3500 Mhz instead of 3850) and I don't want to downclock the lower clocked cores.

Other cores are clocked lower, because they are not being utilized. The cores that are higher clocked, are what the game is actually using. This isn't like Intel with it's P and E cores, where the E cores are always clocked lower.
They would also be clocked lower if they are utilized less, but still, and games still use them.
There are very few games left that only utilize a few cores and have zero usage on all other cores.
You have to have all cores run high to get the most out of a CPU.

What the OP want's is to set a max clock but still have cool and quiet (speed step) work normally on all cores, but I have no idea how to do that on his mobo or an AMD mobo in general.

Most AMD Ryzen MBs have "ECO" mode that lowers TDP to one bellow that Ryzen model. Also look for temperature limited automatic backup option in BIOS, Those can limit performance a bit if it's heating too much. (90-95c). Most popular way is to use CO (Core Optimizer) to lower voltage dynamically by certain degree.

TRENDING THREADS