Question Front and rear audio jacks on motherboard, "Board Explorer" show as "Disconnected" as opposed to other slots' "Empty", and no audio output or input ?

Apr 28, 2024

Front and back sound jacks on motherboard "Board Explorer" show as "Disconnected" as opposed to other slots' "Empty", and no audio output or input​

I have encountered this problem after buying this computer on facebook marketplace, and I didnt think to check the audio.

PC specs.

MBD: MSI B360 GAMING PLUS
CPU: i7 8700
GPU: GTX 1070 ti

I've been troubleshooting for hours. I tried:

- Driver updates, reinstalling drivers, resetting windows, reinstalling bios, and many, many settings changes
- Connecting the front jacks to a different computer(It worked)

At this point everything's leading me to assume its a motherboard problem, but im posting this thread to see if there's a solution i haven't tried
I bought a sound card and the sound from that works

Any ideas?

Ralston18

Titan
How did you connect the front jacks to another computer?

= = = =

Open Device Manager > View

Check to ensure that "Show hidden devices" is checked.

Then under the computer name expand "Audio inputs and outputs"

The objective being to see what audio devices are listed.

Take a screenshot that show the expanded list of audio components.

Post the screenshot here via imgur (www.imgur.com).

Use the green New Post button.

It may become necessary to do the same on that other computer when the front jacks are connected to it and working.

Next step being to look for missing services by checking through the list of audio devices.

Apr 28, 2024
How did you connect the front jacks to another computer?

= = = =

Open Device Manager > View

Check to ensure that "Show hidden devices" is checked.

Then under the computer name expand "Audio inputs and outputs"

The objective being to see what audio devices are listed.

Take a screenshot that show the expanded list of audio components.

Post the screenshot here via imgur (www.imgur.com).

Use the green New Post button.

It may become necessary to do the same on that other computer when the front jacks are connected to it and working.

Next step being to look for missing services by checking through the list of audio devices.
Okay i did that, and i found that the Nahimic device has a problem, but this problem is gone after i use nahimic restore tool mentioned below

The C-MEDIA device is the sound card i purchased.

Here's the imgur link:

View: https://imgur.com/a/cUEcUpq

nahimic from microsoft store updated as well?
is the front panel correctly plugged into the jaud1 header?

HD Audio Controller [Enabled] in BIOS?

set default audio device to speaker, eventually windows did set it to HDMI or similar
I didnt have nahimic (i assume you mean the app) installed, when i did it prompted me to use nahimic restore tool. After i did that, the problem still persists, except now

I also made sure again that the audio controller is enabled in bios

I forgot to mention, but my monitor has sound output, but it doesnt work. I tried plugging my headset into the monitor, but all i got was static sound

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2024
Plugging the headset into the monitor may or may not be workable or fully workable.

Reasons: TS, TRS, TRRS.

FYI:

https://www.cablechick.com.au/blog/understanding-trrs-and-audio-jacks/

Some mismatch may be partially responsible for the other audio problems.

Take a look at the plugs and ports being used.
i have a headset with mic, L and R. I used i divergent (i think thats what its called) to split microphone from sound. The issue comes from the computer itself, as ive tried to use mutliple different headsets and microphones and none worked

Apr 28, 2024
reset the bios
try updating the audio drivers within device manager of windows

try using only earphones (without mic) for testing

what´s the usb audio device in conrtol panel?
Ok i reset bios and reinstalled the audio drivers for the 100th time now, and used micless wired earbuds and its still the same results. i believe usb audio device is my camera, it has mic input but i dont think it has output