How To How to log in on second router (same brand as main)?

Sirlee

Prominent
Aug 22, 2019
Hi! I have a Zyxel P8702N as my main router, and i want to connect another router of the same brand and model as an access point. To do this, I need to log in to each of the routers to fix the settings. My question is, how do I log on the second router? I can log on to my main router which has the modem connected to it, but my second router has no internet even when I connect a LAN cable from the main router to the secondary one.

Sirlee

Prominent
Aug 22, 2019
I used port 2 on my main router and port 2 on my 2nd router. I have tried switching it up, trying other ports, even WAN to WAN - with no luck

Sirlee

Prominent
Aug 22, 2019
Disconnect second router from network and connect only your pc to it.
Then you'll be able to access and configure it.

There's most likely ip address conflict with 2 routers (same model) on default settings.
When I do this and try to log in, the log in site says I need internet connection. How do I resolve/bypass this?

Sirlee

Prominent
Aug 22, 2019
The default ip address is 192.168.1.1 . If I punch this in my address bar, I still get the standard message with "you are not connected to the internet). I have no trouble accessing my main router (which is connected to the modem) with this ip address, only the secondary router (which is not connected to the modem)

When you configure a router for Access Point, you DO NOT USE its WAN port. On some routers you can, but you have to consult the manual <gasp!> to verify this.

U do not need Internet access to manage a router, so I don't know what you are doing. If said router doesn't already have an assigned LAN IP u may have to reset it to factory to gain access.

Sirlee

Prominent
Aug 22, 2019
That is the thing, the login site for my router says that I need internet connection in order to log in. The site I am talking about is the one I come to when I go to my routers IP address (192.168.1.1)

I am not familiar with the router and all the manuals I find are not coming up in english so I can't read them.

It would be extremely rare for a router to require internet to set it up. What happens if you need to set a userid or password on the wan port how would you ever do that. Then again this maybe some special ISP firmware image restricting it.

The only router I knew that had a internet required to configure was some of the linksys models cisco had before they sold them to belkin. They got so much bad press and people calling them idiots that they finally released firmware that allowed 100% local configuration.

This is read the manual and see if internet is actually required. If it is then I don't know what to suggest since this is one of the configurations people complained about to cisco.

That is the thing, the login site for my router says that I need internet connection in order to log in. The site I am talking about is the one I come to when I go to my routers IP address (192.168.1.1)
Is actually very simple. ^This means that it DOESN'T KNOW HOW TO GET TO 192.168.1.1. Hence it assumes this address is out there on the Internet. Is not, 192.168 should be a subnet on your LAN. WHAT IS YOUR RUNNING SUBNET? Find by PC: IPCONFIG /ALL.

Can you show screenshot?
The router must be disconnected from other devices. Only your pc (you're using for configuration) must be connected to it (on LAN port). Your pc must be configured to obtain ip address from dhcp.

And show screenshot from ipconfig /all
(when you're connected to this router)

Sirlee

Prominent
Aug 22, 2019
I managed to log in to the 2nd router with the instructions above in mind. Pretty self explanatory, only I am braindead it seems. The Zyxel P8702N does have a access point mode, so I set the 2nd router in this mode (after resetting it to factory setting etc). Still, there is no internet connection when I connect it to the main router via LAN. Any suggestions? I connected my pc to the two routers seperately by ethernetcable (and wifi for the main router) and got the /ipconfig from each.

Main router:

Ethernet adapter Ethernet:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.146
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1

Wireless LAN adapter Wi-Fi:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.223
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1

2nd router (in access point mode):