Question How to make the laptop's hotspot to not be shown as "metered"?

TheFlash1300

Prominent
Mar 15, 2022
Hello. I'm using the hotspot of my laptop to give internet to multiple devices. The problem is that the Wi-Fi connection is viewed as metered by the other devices. When I connect the devices directly to the router's signal, the Wi-Fi they get isn't viewed as metered. But when I connect the laptop to the router, and then use the laptop's hotspot to give internet access to the other devices, the Wi-Fi network is viewed as metered. This causes some programs to not function properly and restrict their functionality, because they 'think' there is only a limited amount of data, and need to reduce their functionality in order to reduce the data consumption. This is not true - I have a mobile plan for unlimited internet.

So, how do I make the laptop's hotspot in Windows 10 to be shown as non-metered?

TheFlash1300

Prominent
Mar 15, 2022
Why the laptop as hotspot, and not just directly to the router?
Because when I use the laptop as hotspot, the signal is much stronger.
Basically the router has a function where on Wi-Fi you can isolate devices and have them not see each other, thus they act like a single user. You must duplicate that in your connection sharing on your laptop.
Okay.
Thanks for explaining this.

TheFlash1300

Prominent
Mar 15, 2022
Then fix the actual problem, instead of trying a borked up workaround.
The router is 21 meters away from the group of devices that need the connection. It's in another place, giving connection to the devices in that place. I have another group of devices placed in a place 21 meters away from the router. They are mobile devices with not-so-good antennas. The laptop has a good antenna that catches the signal, making it much, much more stable and powerful.

Using the laptop as a Wi-Fi repeater is the fix I use. :)

USAFRet

Titan
The router is 21 meters away from the group of devices that need the connection. It's in another place, giving connection to the devices in that place. I have another group of devices placed in a place 21 meters away from the router. They are mobile devices with not-so-good antennas. The laptop has a good antenna that catches the signal, making it much, much more stable and powerful.

Using the laptop as a Wi-Fi repeater is the fix I use. :)
An ethernet cable is out of the question why?

Hello. I'm using the hotspot of my laptop to give internet to multiple devices. The problem is that the Wi-Fi connection is viewed as metered by the other devices. When I connect the devices directly to the router's signal, the Wi-Fi they get isn't viewed as metered. But when I connect the laptop to the router, and then use the laptop's hotspot to give internet access to the other devices, the Wi-Fi network is viewed as metered. This causes some programs to not function properly and restrict their functionality, because they 'think' there is only a limited amount of data, and need to reduce their functionality in order to reduce the data consumption. This is not true - I have a mobile plan for unlimited internet.

So, how do I make the laptop's hotspot in Windows 10 to be shown as non-metered?

When you go to the properties of the connected WiFi signal, you don't have an option to turn on or off the Metered Connection option?

Since you are using the laptop as a hotspot, the other connected devices may be seeing that as a cell data connection, which turns on the metered option by default.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-au...-windows-7b33928f-a144-b265-97b6-f2e95a87c408

Will look like this

img_58efde9d5374a.png