How to make unallocated space into a partition

4eyed

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2011
I have recently bought a laptop with 500gb of HDD space. The "experienced" people at the computer store installed windows on a 100gb partiton and left those 400 ( 365 to be precise ) gigabytes unallocated. How do i make them into a normal partition without reinstalling windows and without the risk of messing something up?

Solution
Go into your computer management - go to storage - disk management - you should see "Unallocated" space after your "C" drive. Right click on it and mark it as active/or create a new simple volume and assign a drive letter to it..
Go into your computer management - go to storage - disk management - you should see "Unallocated" space after your "C" drive. Right click on it and mark it as active/or create a new simple volume and assign a drive letter to it..

Solution
The disk management utility will allow you to do this. Go through admin tools/computer management or type "disk management" in the search bar in windows 7

Where did you get this computer from? I am just curious as laptops genearlly come from a major manufacturer and this computer shop seems to be very inept

EDIT: what chainzsaw said. slow typing and you beat me lol

4eyed

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2011

It's a dell PC, dell inspiron N5110, but it came without an OS so i brought it to the local PC store and let them install it. Thank you both for help!

TRENDING THREADS