News How to Make Windows 11 Look and Feel Like Windows 10

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not sure why you'd even want to do this, when the ONLY point of Windows 11 is that it has a different look/aesthetic. I've read about nor found no major changes, so far at least, in terms of new technologies, file system advances or other improvements under the hood that would lead me to believe that in that regard there is any difference between 10 and 11, aside from the way it looks and handles navigation. In fact, seems they've REMOVED a fair number of features, like Cortana and tiles, which I'm in favor of but not everybody will be.

So if you are going to install Windows 11 and make it look like Windows 10, why wouldn't you just run Windows 10?

In the past, making Windows 10 look like 8.1 or 7 made sense, because there were a lot of fundamental changes under the hood, yet a lot of people preferred the look and navigation methods of the older OSes, but had the only change from them to 10 been the way it looked, that too would have pretty much been pointless, as this is. All of which ignores the fact that Windows 11 isn't meant to be used as a primary daily driver OS at this time. It isn't "done" baking by any means. It's not even a "preview" yet. It's JUST a piece of beta software that Microsoft is hoping everybody will beta test for them, although we already know that any of the actual, insightful feedback they are given will likely not be what makes it into the final pie.

Last edited:
No need to do that either. Classic shell can make ANY version of Windows, at least from 10 and back, look like ANY other version of Windows INCLUDING shell behavior. I'd be surprised if Windows 11 didn't work with it, or didn't work with it for long as there are still independent parties offering some level of support for the product and so far it has worked continuously for every version of Windows 10. It can even make it look and act like Windows 3.1, but with the Windows 10 tech under the hood.

Reactions: phenomiix6
Apr 1, 2020
Said it before and I'll say it again: Microsoft needs to stop fiddling with things that work perfectly fine, such as the file explorer, and focus on things which direly need attention, such as Windows Defender scan speed and system resource impact.

Start wise I'm fine with the tiled interface, and I was totally against it when it debuted with 8, but as smartphones have become much more commonplace, it doesn't bother me. What DOES bother me is Microsoft's blatant refusal to give us collapsible tile groups and ability to sort tile group contents alphabetically.

The changes to file explorer and the context menu, meaningless changes which result in reduced productivity, are as bad as the Ribbon UI.

apiltch

Editor-in-Chief
Editor
Sep 15, 2014
I'm not sure why you'd even want to do this, when the ONLY point of Windows 11 is that it has a different look/aesthetic. I've read about nor found no major changes, so far at least, in terms of new technologies, file system advances or other improvements under the hood that would lead me to believe that in that regard there is any difference between 10 and 11, aside from the way it looks and handles navigation. In fact, seems they've REMOVED a fair number of features, like Cortana and tiles, which I'm in favor of but not everybody will be.

So if you are going to install Windows 11 and make it look like Windows 10, why wouldn't you just run Windows 10?

In the past, making Windows 10 look like 8.1 or 7 made sense, because there were a lot of fundamental changes under the hood, yet a lot of people preferred the look and navigation methods of the older OSes, but had the only change from them to 10 been the way it looked, that too would have pretty much been pointless, as this is. All of which ignores the fact that Windows 11 isn't meant to be used as a primary daily driver OS at this time. It isn't "done" baking by any means. It's not even a "preview" yet. It's JUST a piece of beta software that Microsoft is hoping everybody will beta test for them, although we already know that any of the actual, insightful feedback they are given will likely not be what makes it into the final pie.

There are a few reasons why one might want to follow some or all of the steps in the article. First, you might want to stay in the insider track to test out other new features that aren't part of the UI such as the upcoming Android feature or the new Microsoft Store or DirectStorage. So, even if these features aren't present right now, you won't get them unless you are an insider so perhaps you're rolling with the changes to see how Windows 11 evolves. Second, if you were already in the Insider program and your PC got upgraded to Windows 11 and you then decided "I really wish I had my old File Explorer or Start Menu or taskbar," after 10 days you can't roll back without doing a clean install so maybe you just want to make the best of Windows 11. Third , maybe you like some but not all of the new UI. Maybe you love the new snap and virtual desktop features, but hate the Start menu for example. Fourth, maybe you just like to hack things and see what's possible.

There are a few reasons why one might want to follow some or all of the steps in the article. First, you might want to stay in the insider track to test out other new features that aren't part of the UI such as the upcoming Android feature or the new Microsoft Store or DirectStorage. So, even if these features aren't present right now, you won't get them unless you are an insider so perhaps you're rolling with the changes to see how Windows 11 evolves. Second, if you were already in the Insider program and your PC got upgraded to Windows 11 and you then decided "I really wish I had my old File Explorer or Start Menu or taskbar," after 10 days you can't roll back without doing a clean install so maybe you just want to make the best of Windows 11. Third , maybe you like some but not all of the new UI. Maybe you love the new snap and virtual desktop features, but hate the Start menu for example. Fourth, maybe you just like to hack things and see what's possible.
If you were in the slow or fast ring, you would not be the target audience for this sort of article anyhow. 'Nuff said.

Jul 18, 2021

I agree with you. after getting a feedback from testers, Microsoft might provide an option to select the position of the start Left, middle or right.

ravewulf

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
As someone who hates the Ribbon, I like that they got rid of it from the Win11 Explorer. I also like that they made the title bar dark in Dark mode and added rounded corners back to windows. The rest of the changes though...

USAFRet

Titan
As someone who hates the Ribbon, I like that they got rid of it from the Win11 Explorer. I also like that they made the title bar dark in Dark mode and added rounded corners back to windows. The rest of the changes though...
As someone who sort of likes the ribbon in Win 10...you know that you can make it go away, right?
Minimize it, and it will never darken your screen again.

Apr 1, 2020
The WORST thing about the Windows 11 taskbar is that they seem to have gotten rid of the option to not combine icons and display text instead.

combine-taskbar-feature-image.jpg

For me it's much increased productivity because, for example, if you have 3 Word documents open at the same time, you can quickly, with one click, swap to the one you want, not to mention if you have a high resolution display cramming all the icons into a tiny little corner is just a bad idea all around.

Screenshot-2021-07-18-112133.png

Reactions: Soaptrail

Joseph_138

Distinguished
The only thing I want to know, is when they are gong to patch in the ability to download Android apps. I use Bluestacks, but I want to try out the Amazon store because of Amazon coins. I would also like to have back the ability to relocate the taskbar to the top or sides.

Colif

Win 11 Master
The WORST thing about the Windows 11 taskbar is that they seem to have gotten rid of the option to not combine icons and display text instead.

combine-taskbar-feature-image.jpg

For me it's much increased productivity because, for example, if you have 3 Word documents open at the same time, you can quickly, with one click, swap to the one you want, not to mention if you have a high resolution display cramming all the icons into a tiny little corner is just a bad idea all around.

Screenshot-2021-07-18-112133.png
win 11 now isn't what it will be like in 4 months time. Its still being made, there are short cuts missing right now, its clearly a work in progress. So wait and see if its still missing that feature on release.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS