Question How to migrate my windows 10 to a new computer

Zork283

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2014
Hello,
Does anyone know of any guides to migrate my windows and all files, registries and settings to a new computer that I am building. My old computer is 8 years old and I have purchased all the new hardware for it. My plan is to clone the C:\ hard drive to my new SSD (the new one is larger) using Samsung Magician. I already have the USB to M2 adapter for this. And then I will install the new SSD in my new computer. And then to just update the windows license in my Microsoft account.

I assume that I will have to download new drivers for my new hardware, as everything will be completely new, but I don't know much about how to approach this.

What are the old and new motherboards?
If you are going Intel to Intel, it will likely work.
Not likely if amd is involved.
Otherwise most will tell you to reinstall windows.

I have done this many times with no issues on intel to intel.
This is how I do it.
First, I use samsung ssd migration aid to clone my working m.2 C drive to a Sata ssd. I will never touch the original pc HDD again.
Samsung may not work with a m.2 adapter card. check that out.

On the new pc, I will attach the new parts which will include psu, ram and peripherals. I have many old parts to make up a bootable test system.
If the new cpu does not include a cooler, buy either a minimal cooler, or the upgrade.
If needed I will borrow the old keyboard and mice. If new ram is not bought, I could borrow one stick from the working pc.
I will use the integrated graphics. The extra $30 for integrated over F versions is money well spent.

I will try to boot with the ssd. If that works, I will install drivers.

When all is well enough to be confident, I will install the new m.2 pcie ssd and again use the samsung ssd migration app to move the sata C drive to the m.2

The sata ssd becomes my checkpoint in time if I should need it. (I never have)

Zork283

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2014
The first thing you should do is do a complete backup of everything
I take filesystem backups frequently. Should I also take a system image via the Windows Backup and Restore (Windows 7) feature?

What are the old and new motherboards?
If you are going Intel to Intel, it will likely work.
Not likely if amd is involved.
Otherwise most will tell you to reinstall windows.

Old Build:
Processor: i5-4590 Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth Z97 Mark 2 RAM: PNY XLR8 8GB DDR3 1600 CAS 9 Memory Module MD8192SD3-1600-X9 Hard Disk: Samsung Electronics 840 EVO-Series 2.5-Inch SATA III Case: Thermaltake V3 Black Edition VL80001W2Z No PS Mid Tower Gaming Case (Black)

New Build:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 7950X Motherboard: ASRock X670E PG Lightning AM5 ATX Mainboard. 4xDDR5 slots, PCIE 5.0X16, AMD Cross Fire, Quad M.2 slots, RAM: D564GB 5200-36 Ripjaws S5 bk K2 GSK Hard Disk: SK hynix Platinum P41 2TB PCIe NVMe Gen4 M.2 2280 Case: Fractal Design Define 7 Black Brushed Aluminum / Steel E-ATX Silent Modular Mid Tower Computer Case

letmepicyou

Honorable
Mar 5, 2019
I take filesystem backups frequently. Should I also take a system image via the Windows Backup and Restore (Windows 7) feature?

Old Build:
Processor: i5-4590 Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth Z97 Mark 2 RAM: PNY XLR8 8GB DDR3 1600 CAS 9 Memory Module MD8192SD3-1600-X9 Hard Disk: Samsung Electronics 840 EVO-Series 2.5-Inch SATA III Case: Thermaltake V3 Black Edition VL80001W2Z No PS Mid Tower Gaming Case (Black)

New Build:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 7950X Motherboard: ASRock X670E PG Lightning AM5 ATX Mainboard. 4xDDR5 slots, PCIE 5.0X16, AMD Cross Fire, Quad M.2 slots, RAM: D564GB 5200-36 Ripjaws S5 bk K2 GSK Hard Disk: SK hynix Platinum P41 2TB PCIe NVMe Gen4 M.2 2280 Case: Fractal Design Define 7 Black Brushed Aluminum / Steel E-ATX Silent Modular Mid Tower Computer Case
Not to be a "Windows Salesman" but if you're still on Windows 7 (and I LOVED Windows 7) the newer versions of windows will handle your new system's capabilities much better than 7 ever will. DX12 just as an example. I may be a bit confused here because you have "Windows 10" in the thread title and "Windows 7" in your last post...am I missing something?

USAFRet

Titan
Does anyone know of any guides to migrate my windows and all files, registries and settings to a new computer that I am building.
i5-4590/Asus Z97
to
Ryzen 9 7950x/ASRock X670E

This is a full wipe and reinstall. For a change of this magnitude, it is highly unlikely that you can simply migrate to the new hardware. New drivers or no.

Save all your personal files off to some other drive.
Document all your username/passwords
Collect and document any serial numbers for other licensed software.

Full wipe and reinstall, on the drive of your choice.

Zork283

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2014
Sorry to say... Not gonna work. Intel to amd.
Chipset drivers in your current Intel motherboard will be entirely different and preclude booting of the old ssd.
Plan on a new clean install.

If you want to use a Intel I9-13900K which performs similarly then you have a good chance of success.
Here is a comparison:
https://www.tomshardware.com/news/amd-ryzen-9-7950x-vs-intel-core-i9-13900k

I can't use a Intel I9-13900K because I already have the Ryzen 9 7950x.
While getting the documents over would be relitavely simple, how would I get my settings, installed programs, program files, windows registry changes, etc over? When I get a brand new phone, I can just use Samsung Smart Switch and everything seemlessly transfers over. Is there any way to do that with a desktop?

Zork283

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2014
Not to be a "Windows Salesman" but if you're still on Windows 7 (and I LOVED Windows 7) the newer versions of windows will handle your new system's capabilities much better than 7 ever will. DX12 just as an example. I may be a bit confused here because you have "Windows 10" in the thread title and "Windows 7" in your last post...am I missing something?

Windows 10 backup has a legacy Windows 7 Backup and Restore in the Control Panel which still works for Windows 10. The regular Windows 10 Backup in Settings is dumbed down and doesn't allow nearly as much control as the Windows 7 Backup and Restore tool.

USAFRet

Titan
I can't use a Intel I9-13900K because I already have the Ryzen 9 7950x.
While getting the documents over would be relitavely simple, how would I get my settings, installed programs, program files, windows registry changes, etc over? When I get a brand new phone, I can just use Samsung Smart Switch and everything seemlessly transfers over. Is there any way to do that with a desktop?
A PC is much different than a phone.

There is no easy button for this.

The time to ask questions is BEFORE you buy.

The problem with moving apps is that the installation process put data in the windows registry. When you do a clean install, you start with an empty registry.
There is a process for handling steam games.

n2ubp

Reputable
Jun 26, 2019
I just did something similar. Using Acronis I created a full drive backup of the old Crucial SATA SSD drive to external USB drive. I then booted the new computer from an Acronis flash drive and ran Acronis restore to the new Samsung M.2 SSD. After the restore was complete I ran Acronis Universal Restore which prepped Windows 10 on the M.2 SSD to boot on the new motherboard. New motherboard booted without problem and loaded new drivers as needed. I had one minor problem with Realtek HD Audio support, Acronis Universal Support had disabled driver startup in the registry, I had to turn it back on. Windows 10 activation wasn't happy with the move. I had to find the original Windows 7 Pro key I used to upgrade to Win 10 to get Windows activated on the new computer but it finally fully activated after telling it I made a hardware change. I believe other programs like Easus also offer similar Universal Restore features.

Zork283

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2014
I just did something similar. Using Acronis I created a full drive backup of the old Crucial SATA SSD drive to external USB drive. I then booted the new computer from an Acronis flash drive and ran Acronis restore to the new Samsung M.2 SSD. After the restore was complete I ran Acronis Universal Restore which prepped Windows 10 on the M.2 SSD to boot on the new motherboard. New motherboard booted without problem and loaded new drivers as needed. I had one minor problem with Realtek HD Audio support, Acronis Universal Support had disabled driver startup in the registry, I had to turn it back on. Windows 10 activation wasn't happy with the move. I had to find the original Windows 7 Pro key I used to upgrade to Win 10 to get Windows activated on the new computer but it finally fully activated after telling it I made a hardware change. I believe other programs like Easus also offer similar Universal Restore features.

I have never used Acronis. Can you please link a guide to this procedure? Also, is it free or will I need to buy something to use it? I already have SSDs anda windows 10 ISO USB drive.

Last edited:

DavidLejdar

Prominent
Sep 11, 2022
I recently changed rig (also to a X670E PGL btw), and I went with a new Win installation. I had to reinstall some software I am using, but I figured a clean install is better than to carry over some possible bloat from years past, that I am not using anymore. (And I backed up my entire user folder, in case there is e.g. a save file I may want to use for a game without cloud save, etc.)

But if wanting to clone, Samsung has a manual for it. Perhaps it will answer what you need to know?
https://semiconductor.samsung.com/r...ration_User_Manual_English_US_revision_v6.pdf

n2ubp

Reputable
Jun 26, 2019
I have never used Acronis. Can you please link a guide to this procedure? Also, is it free or will I need to buy something to use it? I already have SSDs anda windows 10 ISO USB drive.

https://kb.acronis.com/content/2149
Acronis Universal Restore is the unique technology developed in Acronis that allows changing Windows Hardware Abstraction Layer (HAL.dll) and device drivers.

It is designed to allow a machine to boot its operating system initially after a restoration/deployment of an image to hardware that is different from the one it was taken from, and then proceed with the installation of other drivers and configuration.

Acronis Universal Restore allows changing Windows Hardware Abstraction Layer (HAL.dll) and install mass storage boot device drivers into the system.

Part of the recovery process, It installs boot device drivers (e.g. hard drive or RAID controller drivers) into the system, so that the operating system can boot from this boot device. If there are proper NIC drivers present in the folder with the drivers, Acronis Universal Restore will copy them into the restored system and will schedule their installation on Windows boot-up.

(!) All the other drivers (e.g. video and sound card drivers, plug and play drivers) are not installed by Acronis Universal Restore, as they can be installed in Windows after the successful migration.

Acronis Universal Restore is applicable for:

• Instant recovery of a failed system on different hardware (hard drive controllers, RAID controllers, NIC) (Acronis Universal Restore);
  • Hardware-independent cloning and deployment of operating systems (Acronis Universal Deploy and Acronis Universal Restore);
  • Real-to-virtual and virtual-to-real computer migration for system recovery, testing and other purposes (Acronis Universal Restore).

Universal Restore is not available:

• when the image being recovered is located in Acronis Secure Zone or
  • when using Acronis Active Restore,

because these features are primarily meant for instant data recovery on the same machine.

(!) Acronis Universal Restore does not support or install plug and play drivers.

Acronis Universal Restore is required to restore a system to another hardware configuration. It does automatically detect if the HAL should be changed (and changes it) and also installs drivers for HDD controllers and NIC (if they can be found).

If any system-critical driver cannot be found, one will get a warning message during the restoration process.

USAFRet

Titan
Even with the Acronis Universal Restore, or the similar function from Macrium Reflect, ReDeploy , I would still do a full OS reinstall on this new hardware.
The Acronis and Macrium functions will probably get it booting up.

And then you still have to mess with hardware drives (GPU, etc)>

And you're still dragging along years worth of cruft from the old OS. Partially uninstalled applications, registry settings, leftovers in AppData, etc, etc

I'd prefer to give my new hotrod CPU a clean slate to work with.

If it were a relatively short difference in age, or a relatively fresh install on the old system, I'd probably try it.
But an Intel from 2014 into a new Ryzen 9?

Some people think of a fresh OS install as the end of the world.
I look at is as a very rare but very beneficial Spring cleaning.

To each his own.