Question How to migrate Windows 10 from HDD to SSD whilst keeping files on HDD

Aug 2, 2019
On my current build I only have a 1TB HDD and I would like to increase boot times by adding a smaller SSD (probably about 240/256GB)to my system. The problem is that I am unable to transfer the entire system over to the SSD as there is too much space taken up on the HDD and I was wondering if there is any way (through software or other) to transfer just the OS so I can have faster boost times whilst keeping the bulk of data on the HDD.

You should already have a data backup? There is no way to transfer just the OS to the SSD unless it is already in a separate partition. I'd backup your data, wipe the HDD and start the whole thing from new. Its best to install Windows on the SSD with the HDD disconnected. Connect the HDD later.

USAFRet

Titan
On my current build I only have a 1TB HDD and I would like to increase boot times by adding a smaller SSD (probably about 240/256GB)to my system. The problem is that I am unable to transfer the entire system over to the SSD as there is too much space taken up on the HDD and I was wondering if there is any way (through software or other) to transfer just the OS so I can have faster boost times whilst keeping the bulk of data on the HDD.
" transfer just the OS "

Sorry. There is no function or application that will do that.

This is like making cake batter, baking the cake, and then removing the eggs to have for breakfast tomorrow.

How much space is consumed on your current drive, and what does it consist of?