Question How to mount Arctic Freezer II Rev 4 to MSI X570 Tomahawk motherboard ?

Oct 14, 2021
I am starting to go crazy watching videos of people installing this CPU cooler without any issues. They use the 4 AM4 mounting screws included and they screw in perfectly to the backplate. But with me, they simply do not fit into my backplate. I have no idea what screw sizes both the backplate and mounting screws are because MSI and Arctic do not specify.

I think that the backplate is an M3 standoff, and the AM4 Mounting screws are 6-32 UNC, but I could be wrong. This is the most frustrating thing I've dealt with in my life as I cannot even use my PC without this AIO installed. I've spent nearly 20 hours already building this and this AIO was the very last thing I needed. Please help

Oct 14, 2021
Understood. If not aligned properly, then I would imagine the screws could have issues fitting.

Are you using the original screws that were used with the AMD bracket or ones shipped with the AIO?
I am using the ones that came with the AIO. I also tried to just put the screws in without the brackets to see if they fit and they do not. Is it possible the screws Arctic included are the wrong size?

COLGeek

Cybernaut
I am using the ones that came with the AIO. I also tried to just put the screws in without the brackets to see if they fit and they do not. Is it possible the screws Arctic included are the wrong size?
That is certainly a possibility. Do you have the original screws? Have you tried those?

I assume you are referring to the screws that mount the brackets to the AMD backplate (using the provide spacers).

Oct 14, 2021
That is certainly a possibility. Do you have the original screws? Have you tried those?

I assume you are referring to the screws that mount the brackets to the AMD backplate (using the provide spacers).
The screws that mount the brackets are referred to as "Screws (AMD Socket AM4)" https://support.arctic.de/lf2-240r4...NgY5JDDkkEZu8swxMkwLGxLwbNbkaJ8caAtsYEALw_wcB

The screws that hold the default motherboard mounting brackets do fit, but they are too short to use because of the spacers that need to be installed

Tac 25

Estimable
Jul 25, 2021
if being too short is the issue, how about going to the local hardware store to see if they have longer versions of the screws of the default mobo bracket? Or your local computer shop might have some.

Oct 14, 2021
if being too short is the issue, how about going to the local hardware store to see if they have longer versions of the screws of the default mobo bracket? Or your local computer shop might have some.
That is what I plan on doing after work. Hoping that the screws are the right size. If not, I'm just going to install the stock AMD cooler until I figure this AIO out.

COLGeek

Cybernaut

COLGeek

Cybernaut
The original screws are fine but the AIO mounting brackets require spacers to be installed so it sits higher up above the hole, thus requiring a longer screw
Understood, 100%. Still, the AMD screws are typically longer than they really need to be. I have a container full of assorted screws, including long screws that came from AMD rigs that would very likely work in your situation.