How to move an HP 8200 Pro Motherboard to 3rd Party Case

Oct 4, 2018
I have an old HP motherboard from a 8200 Pro desktop (model 611835-001). I'd like to adapt this board so that my daughter can have a basic starter computer. I'm aware of the power supply challenges associated with using a proprietary HP board in a non-HP case. This is the ATX version of the board, not the BTX. I bought an adapter (linked below) to covert a standard ATX power supply to the HP connectors. Here's the problem. As soon as I connect power to the power supply, the CPU fan turns on. Nothing else happens (no other fans turn on, and there doesn't appear to be power to any other components). I've tried quite a few combinations of front panel connector plugins, and I can't get it to boot. I haven't had any luck with finding the pinout for the front panel connections for this board. It's a non-standard HP setup. Looks like this:

wEQ2xc7.png

I've seen videos of other people successfully adapting this board to a non-HP case, but I haven't figured out how they did the wiring. I'd love to hear any input that you all might have (especially if you've done this successfully or know the pinout).

Power Adapter Link: https://www.ebay.com/itm/US-24P-to-6P-Plastic-ATX-PSU-Power-Supply-Cable-Fit-HP-Z230-Z220-SFF-Mainborad/263851147922?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Oct 4, 2018

I believe the power suppy wiring is fine at this point. It converts the 24 pin adapter into two HP Cables. That part I think is correct. The challenge now is that the CPU fan spins up right away when you connect a power cable to the power supply (without pressing any power button), and I'm not sure where to plug in the front panel wires for the power button, etc. The picture in my first post is the pin layout for the front panel.

That may be a short on the front panel connector or the power button. And it is also possible that the motherboard is faulty (it is an old motherboard).

Oct 4, 2018

I appreciate the info. Unfortunately the original HP Case and Power button used an all-in-one connector for all of the front panel wires. So you just connected it kind of like connecting front panel USB. So the documentation from HP does not include a pinout that could be used in my case.

It isn't the best scenario, but you can figure it by trial an error. There are two pins (of the front panel connector pins ) that when shorted together will reset the PC. And there are two that start the PC (and they may be indicated on the motherboard as "power"). And there are two sets of pins for the power and HD activity LED's. And there is a four pin sequence of a +5V pin, ground pin, ground pin, and speaker pin.

Oct 4, 2018

I have a suspicion that the HP Power supply converter that I bought is a problem. There isn't a good reason for the computer to be powering when the power cable is connected to the power supply. It's acting as if the black cable was cut and the green cable spliced. The only other normal reason for it to power on automatically is if the pins are bridged like you said. So I'm guessing that this adapter is not working like it's supposed to. It's possible that the pin configurations that I've tried aren't really the problem. The computer is already in some sort of powered state as soon as the power cable is plugged in. It's not showing anything on video though. I think I'm going to have to give up on this board. It's just too customized by HP to be used in another case.

Not necessarily, I recently responded to a thread about just that problem. It was a situation where the motherboard would start when the power supply switch was turned on (normal ATX PSU). And it would do so without the front panel connected.

But you can test it, simply reconnect the old power supply. Then test it.