News How to Move the Taskbar to the Top in Windows 11

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 10, 2022
There is no workaround that I know of. StartAllBack is the only way to do it. Win11 22621.100 is fine with this utility. It's the only one in which the developer is keeping up with the Insider builds in the Dev/Beta & Preview channel. I thought I had already posted this helpful info here twice already, but I guess not. I wish people could be bothered to read the thread. BTW, I don't get anything out of this recommendation--it's my experience that this is the only way to go if you want to move the Taskbar. None of the workarounds I used to use early on work any longer. Just passing it on.
My apologies, I didn't see other posts apart from this one.. So I just assumed that it would be under this thread.
Anyhow, thanks anyways!

Reactions: waltc3

waltc3

Reputable
Aug 4, 2019
My apologies, I didn't see other posts apart from this one.. So I just assumed that it would be under this thread.
Anyhow, thanks anyways!

No worries, man...;) I had a case of indigestion after lunch--which occasionally causes me to be a bit abrasive, which I don't really mean! So pardon me! I don't know what is wrong with Microsoft and the taskbar. With Windows 8 it was the start menu--that prompted Win10 which had a start menu & moveable task bar for the desktop, just like Win7 and earlier--now it appears that Windows 11 is trying to jettison the moveable task bar!...;) People have tried to tell Microsoft they don't want a cell phone OS GUI on their Win11 desktops--but they just don't seem to be listening. I didn't want to pay the $5, either, but it turns out to be a very cool $5 investment, as the developer even upgrades the software to run with Dev/Beta channel build changes Microsoft installs! (which surprised me, as to my knowledge he is the only one who does that. ) I like my taskbar on top--been doing it from there since 1987 in Amiga Workbench...old habits die hard. Microsoft does goofy stuff--its Edge browser for instance...even IE Explorer allowed us to move our favs/bookmarks to either side of the screen preferred. They took that flexibility away and forced me to use the bookmarks/favs on the right of the screen, when I've had them on the left ever since Navigator, IIRC. So I just sya No to Edge--sticking with Firefox x64 DE....Microsoft seems off on some imaginary tangent, again.

Aug 1, 2022
This sounds promising, and I understand the many side effects that may occur. I'm very interested in being able to dock the entire taskbar to the side. Could any of your instructions be tweaked and work for doing this?

Would you prefer looking outside through a rectangular window that's not very tall and unnaturally wide; narrow, and long, short and wide? Or would you prefer looking through a window that's more like a regular TV screen, with the rectangular view area being taller and not as wide as the first option?

Think about that carefully. As a mental exercise, try to disregard what you’ve gotten used to. Consider the questions without bias by carefully analyzing each part before concluding; disregard your predilection.

I know many people have gotten used to the Windows view area being like the first option above; narrow and long, short and wide, with the taskbar docked at the bottom. But I don't think they ever gave themselves a chance to experience Windows with the taskbar docked to the side.

The latter option above is a far more natural configuration for a window to look through to the outside, and the same is true of the view area on a Windows PC.

That being the logical given, why would Microsoft remove the ability to dock the taskbar to the side in Windows 11? They’ve offered no explanation. I don't think the Microsoft team has given the visual ergonomics of the Windows screen unbiased consideration employing an out-of-the-box, logical and practical mindset.

I think they, like others, have gotten used to something, and they haven't considered the effects of removing the alternative to view Windows with a logically more natural view pane. But isn’t it their job to think outside the box, employing logic and practicality? With Windows 11, they’ve been asleep at the wheel and have no plan yet to get back on track.

I will skip Windows 11 until they add the ergonomically more natural viewing ability. I would be extremely interested if you could help me change my registry and/or other settings to accomplish this.

chilli1327

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2010
Well...I tried moving the taskbar to the left of the screen.....It worked...sort of...
All my icons disappeared and I couldn't do ANYTHING! Had to look up keyboard shortcuts to correct it.
Anyone have this problem?

Aug 1, 2022
Well...I tried moving the taskbar to the left of the screen.....It worked...sort of...
All my icons disappeared and I couldn't do ANYTHING! Had to look up keyboard shortcuts to correct it.
Anyone have this problem?
No, I haven't performed it yet. Let me ask you though, were you able to get your icons back, or are you using shortcuts indefinitely?

Oct 4, 2022
I'm having the same issue above, the new 22H2 patch is resetting the registry edit back to 03 after I taskkill explorer.exe and restart it leaving the taskbar at the bottom :(

Reactions: Chelmite
Jan 11, 2023
Ok folks - Hot of the press!
Altering reg does NOT work! So don't bother (unless you want to have a heart attack)!
Instead, go to startallback.com, download, and install the free version.
Once installed, you can select your theme to be either Proper 11, Kinda 10, or Remastered 7. You can even change the setting for your Start Memu, Taskbar, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.