Question How to move WIN 10 from Z170 MB via SSD to new Z570 MB

darrellwood13

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2015
I understand I need to remove Windows 10 from my current Z170, which will make it available to install on another computer. What I do not understand is how to keep it available when I install on my new MotherBoard. Several questions come to mind.
  1. Will the SSD with Windows installed recognize the new hardware and will Windows also recognize the new hardware?
  2. Do I still need to uninstall the Windows license before I swap the hardware?
  3. On this OS software stuff I get a bit confused. I.E.: I printed the "Windows Script Host" info to access the product key, Activation ID, as well as a lot of other keys, IDs and URLs. I also attempted to remove the product key via [slmgr/upk ] but it seemed to do nothing. Windows still works. Am I on the right path?
I have searched how to remove the Windows license, but I do not seem to be removing the product key. My concern is that once I rebuild my PC with the new MB, CPU, & RAM it will refuse my Win 10 product key.
Any advice would be appreciated.

USAFRet

Titan
The license and the installed OS are two different things.

When trying to move the drive+OS, there are 3 possible outcomes:
  1. It works just fine
  2. It fails completely
  3. It "works", but you're chasing issues for weeks/months.

Prepare for a full OS install in the new hardware.

For the licensing, where did the current OS license come from?
If you log on to your MS account, it the system and OS listed there?

darrellwood13

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2015
Airman! Thank you for your service. Coastie here. (Sort of. Coast Guard Auxiliary. Citizens on Patrol!)
Thank you for your reply. The OS is loaded on my PC from a disc purchased 6+ yrs ago. When you asked about the license it reminded me of the problems I had with the original license, as the seller had to replace it. I wrote it on the disc. Now I realize that I need to check my MS account to find out what kind of license I bought. I will keep you informed.
Thanks again

USAFRet

Titan
Airman! Thank you for your service. Coastie here. (Sort of. Coast Guard Auxiliary. Citizens on Patrol!)
Thank you for your reply. The OS is loaded on my PC from a disc purchased 6+ yrs ago. When you asked about the license it reminded me of the problems I had with the original license, as the seller had to replace it. I wrote it on the disc. Now I realize that I need to check my MS account to find out what kind of license I bought. I will keep you informed.
Thanks again
License or otherwise, this almost certainly requires a fresh OS install.

TRENDING THREADS