How to move Windows 10 from old PC onto new one

dangus

Admirable
Oct 8, 2015

sweet that's good to know

I have read the claims that Win 10 OEM can be moved but nothing I have read from MS categorically states this. I haven't tried it either. Do you have a link to something that specifically details this or have you tried it as I am sceptical of this claim that keeps popping up.

USAFRet

Titan

From the Activation Troubleshooter:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/20527/windows-10-activation-troubleshooter

------------------
You recently made a significant hardware change

If you recently made a significant hardware change to your device, such as replacing the motherboard, Windows might no longer be activated on your device.

If you linked your Microsoft account to your Windows 10 digital license on the device before you make the hardware change, you can reactivate Windows using your sign in info:

In the troubleshooter, select I changed hardware on this device recently, and then select Next.
Enter your Microsoft account and password, and then select Sign in. You’ll also need to enter the password for your local account if the Microsoft account you entered isn’t a connected account.
From the list of devices that are linked to your Microsoft account, select the device that you’re currently using, select the check box next to This is the device I’m using right now, and then select Activate.

If you don’t see the device you’re using in the list of results, make sure that you’re signed in using the same Microsoft account you linked to the Windows 10 digital license on your device.

If you’re signed in using the correct Microsoft account, here are some additional reasons why you can’t reactivate Windows:

The edition of Windows on your device doesn’t match the edition of Windows you linked to your digital license.
The type of device you’re activating doesn’t match the type of device you linked to your digital license.
Windows was never activated on your device.
You reached the limit on the number of times you can reactivate Windows on your device.
Your device has more than one administrator, and a different administrator already reactivated Windows.
Your device is managed by your organization and the option to reactivate Windows isn’t available. For help with reactivation, contact your organization’s support person.
----------------

It does not state any difference between OEM or Retail. If they meant for it to not work with an OEM license, it would have said so.
I have heard of only 1 or 2 instances where it did NOT work. Reasons unknown.

And as always:
"If you need additional help reactivating Windows on your device, contact customer support. "

Bottom line - Try it. If it fails, you are no worse off than if you didn't try it.

Janfactor

Reputable
Dec 25, 2015

A bit of a stupid quesion. But how do i get the "Sign in into microsoft account" to prompt when i upgrade my PC, would guess when i turn on my pc it would prompt up the BIOS of the pc

USAFRet

Titan

Before you do ANY hardware changes:

To start with-
Settings
Update and security
Add a Microsoft Account

Then, link this MS account with the OS

After the hardware change and OS install, when it asks for Activation, see the details above.

orlbuckeye

Distinguished

OEM cannot be moved to a new PC. Upgrading the motherboard is considered a new PC. No if your motherboard fails and is replaced by the same model MB it's still considered the same PC.

USAFRet

Titan

With the 1607 Anniversary release of Win 10, this seems to have changed.
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/20527/windows-10-activation-troubleshooter
You recently made a significant hardware change

"If you recently made a significant hardware change to your device, such as replacing the motherboard, Windows might no longer be activated on your device. "
(emphasis mine)

There is no text in there that specifically excludes an OEM license.

MS has always been pretty fuzzy on license levels.
Retail, OEM, System Builder, etc, etc.

They seem to not care anymore.

orlbuckeye

Distinguished

All that means is if you add a hard drive using digital entitlement would require you to call MS to activate. MS added the ability to link digital entitlement to your MS account when you add a hard drive or other hardware. It also uses the MS account to activate Windows 10 that was first activated with Windows 10 with Digital Entitlement and upgrade to Pro.

OEM Windows is the Window licenses to OEM's Dell, Toshiba and the rest. They install and activate in factory and its ties to that computer till the OS is changed or the machine dies.

orlbuckeye

Distinguished

http://www.zdnet.com/article/microsoft-tweaks-activation-rules-for-the-windows-10-anniversary-update/

USAFRet

Titan

From your link:
"Changing the motherboard, however, generates a new installation ID. Under Microsoft's sometimes Byzantine licensing rules, your license is valid if you replace a motherboard because of hardware failure. You need a new license if you chose to upgrade the motherboard, because you're essentially building a new PC."

From the Activation troubleshooter link from Microsoft:
"You recently made a significant hardware change

If you recently made a significant hardware change to your device, such as replacing the motherboard, Windows might no longer be activated on your device.

If you linked your Microsoft account to your Windows 10 digital license on the device before you make the hardware change, you can reactivate Windows using your sign in info:

In the troubleshooter, select I changed hardware on this device recently, and then select Next.
Enter your Microsoft account and password, and then select Sign in. You’ll also need to enter the password for your local account if the Microsoft account you entered isn’t a connected account.
From the list of devices that are linked to your Microsoft account, select the device that you’re currently using, select the check box next to This is the device I’m using right now, and then select Activate."
-----------------------------------------------------
Your link refers to a build before the 1607 release.

Have you tried this and it failed?

I fully agree that the licensing rules from MS are very weird and not intuitive at all.
However...in extensive studying this, both long before Win 10 and after. And after the 1607 release...I see nothing in the current licensing that precludes an "OEM" license from being able to linked to a MS account, and activated with new hardware.

Do you have some specific text that says you cannot do this? Text that speaks of the Anniversary release (1607).
Because everything I've seen recently says you can.

And of everyone I've recommended this to, only one person reported it failing. One.

If it does not work, OK...that sucks.
But why would that text exist if that functionality did not exist?

Again...have you tried this and it failed?

USAFRet

Titan

A new hard drive was never the issue.