How to OC locked *MOBILE* CPU?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

huhatik

Prominent
Sep 21, 2018
Hello, my cpu is i5 7300hq and i feel like it bottlenecks my gtx 1050 ti a bit in games like fortnite, pubg etc... Resulting in stutters when the games render players. I know i shouldn't OC a laptop CPU because laptops are known for having bad temps, but if it is possible to OC a locked CPU, i would undervolt it first.

So my questions are:
1. Which software to use/how to undervolt a CPU?

2. How to overclock a *LOCKED* CPU?

I'm not a software engineer, so I can't tell you that. As far as I am aware, historically, almost all laptop CPUs have been locked, but they certainly have found ways via software to unlock them or make adjustments. Practically ALL of the pre-7th gen, and a good many of the 7th gen and up AMD A series processors were locked and all of them could be overclocked using AMD overdrive. My last AMD laptop with an A10 processor was locked, and could be overclocked using Overdrive. I'm not indicating THIS CPU can be, simply that locked processors without bios capabilities for overclocking HAVE been notoriously capable of being overclocked.

In practically all cases, even short term use of overclocking results in damage. I am done with this conversation as it clearly doesn't apply in this instance and this OP is past the desire to do so in any case.

Yes. It should be fine. I would simply readjust your expectations and try to improve performance in other ways, such as cleaning up or reinstalling the OS and drivers, ditching the hard drive for an SSD or adding system memory if it will allow you to add more memory.

huhatik

Prominent
Sep 21, 2018
I just finished reinstalling the OS, but not that because you told me to but i wanted to switch to an older nvidia driver, i used DDU to boot into safe mode, i tested my password on the microsoft website before going to safe mode and i thought everything will be fine, i'll boot into safe mode uninstall the drivers go back and install the one i wanted. BUT my password didn't work because it booted me to safe mode without networking and it didn't let me go to safe mode with networking via shift+restart ---> troubleshooting etc... It just booted into normal safe mode, i was stressed out, i almost ctied because this laptop is just 1 month old and was not cheap. Even if i tried reinstalling the OS via the shift+start ---> etc... It required the password. But then i was lucky that i had a laptop from a company that cares (HP) a used their OS reinstallation software. Now i'm just logged in and i'll download all the drivers, updates and personal stuff tomorrow because it's night and i'm tired.

The 6th and 7th gen Intels overclocking was due to motherboard manufacturers allowing it in the bios and from modding the motherboard which could only be done to the desktop parts.
Later Intel patched the "bug" through microcode updates anyway.
As for A series chips i'm not sure about K11 but pretty much all K10 cpus were very much overclockable and i don't recall AMD ever trying to deny it.

You're still taking about desktop processors as far as I can tell. If you don't think they were locked, but still overclockable, then you need to take a look at this. I don't see any way you can refute that it is so, contrary to what you are saying these are all locked chips, yet every one of them that I've worked with in the past on various laptops has been overclockable using AMD overdrive. At least all the A series skus.

https://www.amd.com/en/products/specifications/processors/4036,3656,3701,3581,3476,3981,3686,3571,3411,3976,3926,3931

330va5h.jpg

Again, it is at least semi-off topic and pretty much irrelevant though at that point.

avenge

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2014
What are your CPU and GPU max temperatures while gaming? You can install 'MSI Afterburner' and use its OSD to monitor your hardware status in real time. I am pretty sure that your CPU is overheating and throttling and that is why your FPS are dropping. When was the last time you cleaned your laptop and replaced it's thermal paste?

huhatik

Prominent
Sep 21, 2018
No my cpu is not throttling, it was throttling before i updated my bios, because in the previous version the temp limit was at 68-70°C now it does not throttle and my temp are around 76°C

avenge

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2014

I am just asking. So these temperatures "around 76°C" are while gaming in game yes? What are GPU temperatures? How do you monitor them?

huhatik

Prominent
Sep 21, 2018
76-78°C is maximum temps of my GPU and i don't really know how hot my CPU is but if i remember correctly, the temps should be lower than GPU temps because the CPU isn't on high load everytime

avenge

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2014
The GPU temperature is completely different than the CPU temperature. Although CPU TDP should be lower on base frequencies with turbo boost it could become double. Without using software to measure it under load you can't claim that it is not throttling. If your CPU throttles you will get very low FPS and stutter because it will run on much lower frequencies and will bottleneck the GPU.

avenge

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2014
As you wish. I am offering you a solution if you don't want it manage it yourself. This is one of the ways to see if you CPU is overheating and throttiling if you don't want to use MSI Afterburner and post a picture with readings - Aida64 - tools/system stability test:
maxresdefault.jpg

You can also open "sensors" page beside it for better temperature monitoring:
95_large.png

Post a screenshot after 5-10 minutes of stress testing to see if your CPU temperatures are normal. If you want maximum CPU load and heat check only "Stress FPU" in "system stability test".

Obviously he doesn't want help, and doesn't want to listen. Can't help somebody like that. Best to just let him be until he figures out that HE came here for help, not the other way around.

People are not inclined to help you when you are argumentative and resistive, so you might want to rethink the way you reply to people who are trying to help. Bad attitudes generally get bad help.

I was only really curious if there was a program or a mod that allowed overclocking of locked Intel mobile parts.

huhatik

Prominent
Sep 21, 2018
@avenge nope it's overheating at all, i don't have any screenshot, i didn't even measure the temps (but i'll try asap anyways) but the thing that causes the stutter (mainly in PUBG, or only in PUBG) is CPU usage spikes, even when running around the map the CPU usage spikes in a moment to 100%, causes a stutter and then jumps back to normal usage thus giving me normal fps until it happens again. No it's not a bottlenecked laptop (checked multiple sources and someone that knows computers said the i5 7300hq and gtx 1050ti goes together). Now there are only two things left to do:
1. Measure the CPU temps
2. Fix the CPU usage spikes (i already lost here, tried millions of thing and nothing helped)

huhatik

Prominent
Sep 21, 2018
I reinstalled windows recently, and with windows the driver that was there when i bought this laptop got installed, so i don't know if this is a driver problem? What do you think?

Windows drivers, ahem, suck. Yes, do the clean install and use the latest driver for your 1050 ti card directly from the Nvidia website.

Don't ever rely on Microsoft supplied drivers unless there are NO other drivers available, ANYWHERE, for the device. Any device.