How to Opt Out of Google's Wi-Fi Network Mapping

Status
Not open for further replies.

wintermint

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2009
I'm sure Google is hoping that the average computer user (novice) doesn't know anything about this and/or doesn't add "_nomap" to their SSID. They've really become intrusive regarding information.

Ragnar-Kon

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
Good idea, but if a user has the SSID "linksys," what makes Google think the user has the know-how to be able to change it to "linksys_nomap"?

IMO, a better option would be to allow users to opt-in. "linksys_mapme" or something.

why the !@#$ would the users be the ones to opt out? can't google stop itself from [strike]invading privacy[/strike] [strike]or spy[/strike] map people's wifi networks?
oh wait, google is the giant corporation that mines loads of data and stores them for personal gain. users are once again the losers.
the government should step in and make google to comply with privacy laws like germany and other countries did (afaik).

Chapman7

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2011
Yeah they are counting on people either 1. not knowing how to change their ssid or 2. being too lazy too. Losing my respect Google =/

G

i would have thought an opt in would have been a better idea, _mapme makes alot more sense, generally speaking google is providing exposure for these wifi hotspots, so chances are these folks would actively want to be mapped, plus they will have the technical expertise on hand to handle such task

Oh cmon
I have a Wii,PSP 3000,laptop,two desktops and family who all have my SSID set
Now because of Google I have to go thru the trouble of changing my SSID!!! WTF
this isnt a five minute thing to do
this is work
and I shouldnt have to do it
how about yes_map if you want to be on the Google wifi map
make it so if you want this done then you do the change
if you dont want this done then you do nothing

this is the whole reason I removed Google Earth and Google Chrome
they are annoying and intrusive with all their background services
even now I still have a Google update service run on my main Win7 rig
that even using msconfig and manage-services I can f-ing get rid of!

this is ridiculous
why should I have to take time to opt out of something
it should be if you want to opt in you have to do something

Google is lame

mrkdilkington

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2011
[citation][nom]king smp[/nom]Oh cmonI have a Wii,PSP 3000,laptop,two desktops and family who all have my SSID setNow because of Google I have to go thru the trouble of changing my SSID!!! WTFthis isnt a five minute thing to dothis is workand I shouldnt have to do ithow about yes_map if you want to be on the Google wifi mapmake it so if you want this done then you do the changeif you dont want this done then you do nothingthis is the whole reason I removed Google Earth and Google Chromethey are annoying and intrusive with all their background serviceseven now I still have a Google update service run on my main Win7 rigthat even using msconfig and manage-services I can f-ing get rid of!this is ridiculouswhy should I have to take time to opt out of somethingit should be if you want to opt in you have to do somethingGoogle is lame[/citation]Don't broadcast your SSID if you don't want others to see it.

[citation][nom]wintermint[/nom]I'm sure Google is hoping that the average computer user (novice) doesn't know anything about this and/or doesn't add "_nomap" to their SSID. They've really become intrusive regarding information.[/citation]
People that don't know how to do that really don't care about it. Even people that do know how to do that do not care; yes, my SSD might be associated with an approximated location on the map. So, what? Besides giving me a faster update in location-related services that I use, which is an advantage, I do not see a threat in this.
I am usually pretty sensitive when it comes to personal information, but this is not something that I would consider intrusive. People that could associate me personally to that SSID are people that know me, like my neighbors, and these people already know where I live. AFAIK, if someone passes down the street and uses a location-based service, and he is getting that location based on some data on Google's servers that know where he is because of the nearby SSIDs, that does not mean that individual knows what SSID the servers got the info from, nor can he associate me with a certain SSID. He might not even have WiFi enabled at that time, and even if he did, no matter; my network is encrypted.
This re-naming SSID business is useless: if you whip out your phone and sniff some SSIDs around, you will be able to see them even after the name change. That does not mean you will be able to log in those networks, unless they're left open. Conversely, if your phone gets the location based on the SSID datamap from the server, you will never know that for sure, it does it in the background.
The argument with the businesses is even sillier: they are public entities, and could not care less about this whole thing. Certainly, they would hope this will put them "on the map" somehow, but it doesn't.

The problem isn't the idiots who don't got a clue out how routers and switches are configured but google collecting data at all in the first place. Aren't there laws against this if not there is a need for them now because of criminals who do such things often do so to break into wireless networks to take confidential information for monetary gain. I am not happy that every email on google's servers is scanned and every little piece of information that comes across their slimy little hands is sold to third parties such as advertisement companies and governments for reports detailing just about everyone's personal habits that can be gathered from online searches.

In short google is screwing everyone. Even if you are not directly using their "services" you are still are effected.

secolliyn

Distinguished
May 3, 2006
This i think is a total invasion of Privacy if i wanted people to know i have a Wi-Fi signal coming out of my house I'd tell them myself. If i had a Wi-Fi in my house it would be secured and i should have to change my own SSID just so Google Won't map it you should be able to go to google maps and pick your house and put a pin in it saying this is what i have.......

Also this is whats next for google....... " Google Street will not use X-rays to see whats in your house making it easier to identify your home from Google Maps"

STravis

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
How about I do them one better...rather than add the _nomap to the end of my SSID, how about I run fakeAP on my box (with my 1W card) and have Google sort through that mess. If enough of us do it, their data captures will be completely useless.

dotaloc

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2008
am i the only one who things people are far too worried about this?

airwaves off our property are public, no? streets are public. i can turn down the power of my ap if i don't want the signal extending past the boundaries of my property. i can not broadcast my ssid.

i honestly can't think of anything malicious that could be done with this information that wouldn't warrant legal action.

olaf

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2011
great ... if i change that i need to reconfigure the misuz's laptop / phone / work phone . my laptop / phone and work phone plus my tablet .... not inconvenient at all ... i mean its not like my ssid is not chosen on purpose. This is such a big pile of donkey manure ...

technuttso

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2009
For this matter, just hide the SSID name. Is not a security feature,just use WPA2 encryption for that, but atleast it will help to stay off-mapping from the bigbro'. And use only on Win 7, and do not automatcally conect to the network, is more clean. Xp or Win2003 server machine will reveal the SSID. ;) Oh crap, you will have to acces the pouter-acces point settings. Nvm!

nordlead

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2011
while annoying that they collect all this information, it doesn't mean anything to me. I mean, my house is on a street corner. Anyone can collect the same exact information by turning on their phone and looking at the street sign :D

G

If you're broadcasting your SSID, you deserve to have it captured and distrubuted. I think Google is being quite sporting about it, since they clearly have no obligation to offer this option to people.

internetlad

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2011
moving past the whole "invasion of privacy" deal, i have just one question.

Why?

What the hell good will this do to ANYBODY to know where the wifi spots are?

And even if the answer is "to find somebody else's wireless internet" then don't you need to be on the 'net in the first place to access this?

Stupid and useless, at least streetview made sense.

internetlad

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2011
also, to all the "SUPER NERDZ" that are bragging about their unbroadcasted SSID, How about when you're setting up a wireless network for grammy and grandpa and don't want seven calls a day about how to connect to the wireless network.

yeah, OS'es are supposed to remember the connection, but if they disconnect, remove the connection, get bugged, etc etc, then what?

Plain and simple this whole operation makes no sense.

I too believe an "opt-in" is the only way to do this right. Yes, war-drivers can hunt down wireless routers, but this makes it just that much easier for thieves, marketers, and others with nefarious purposes. I believe a class-action against Google would be appropriate in this case. Google wouldn't be doing this if they didn't believe they had a business purpose for it, i.e. it will make money for them.
Either Google should have to pay each and every router-owner they've identified each and every time anyone even views the mere existence of that router, OR, Google can switch to an opt-in model and then actually charge businesses who WANT their hotspots to be listed in some kind of directory.

mayne92

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2009
[citation][nom]mrkdilkington[/nom]Don't broadcast your SSID if you don't want others to see it.[/citation]
Some phones and devices won't connect to an access point that isn't broadcasted...so again...why should we go out of our way in this regard to keep from having our shit farmed???

freddy782

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2011
This is basically the same as your boss emailing you saying "If you want to give me all your wages, dont reply to this email." Totally illegal.

Also I'd just like to point out that if you do hide your SSID, your router still broadcasts it MAC address. If you hide your SSID, you cannot opt out and so infact that would be LESS secure against google!

sykozis

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2008
This only works if Google broadcasts it to the world. Unless it's made 100% public knowledge, Google is basically painting a bullseye on it's own back. Google has already been sued over their Street View project....and lost. Basically, Google is in the business of invading your privacy....period. In my case, I'll just turn off the wireless antenna since I use cat5 anyway....and if I find out Google has already invaded my privacy, I'll deal with them at that point.

Status
Not open for further replies.