How To Overclock Your Graphics Card

Status
Not open for further replies.

randomizer

Champion
By the way, the first step in Nibitor is to select the device, before you can read the BIOS ;) I'd like to know how you "deleted" the "Extra" frequencies. Did you set them to 0 or did you actually set the number of performance levels to 3 instead?

randomizer

Champion
A good idea for doing blind flashes is to have a second floppy (with the DOS files on obviously) but add a file called autoexec.bat with the following line in it:

nvlfash -4 -5 -6 -a -y file.rom

where file.rom is the filename and it could also be a .bin file. That will flash the card without you having to hope you typed it in right, just make sure you gave it a good minute or two before restarting so you don't corrupt the BIOS.

matthieu lamelot

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2008
[citation][nom]randomizer[/nom]By the way, the first step in Nibitor is to select the device, before you can read the BIOS I'd like to know how you "deleted" the "Extra" frequencies. Did you set them to 0 or did you actually set the number of performance levels to 3 instead?[/citation]

Setting them to zero wouldn't work, you have to set them to dash ( - ), as you can see in the screenshot on page 6. AFAIK, Geforce 8 won't boot correctly if you suppress their "extra" performance level.

perzy

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2007
with the really extremly bad cooling on todays GPU's ...a little plastic fan with sleeve bearings that runs slower and slower before it stops completly.. i'm very cautious. New cooling? Yeah, but that costs and then i get a 10% oc. Hmm.

randomizer

Champion
[citation][nom]matthieu lamelot[/nom]Setting them to zero wouldn't work, you have to set them to dash ( - ), as you can see in the screenshot on page 6. AFAIK, Geforce 8 won't boot correctly if you suppress their "extra" performance level.[/citation]
It's worth a try, you might get lucky. ;) Besides, you can always blind flash back. Try setting the number of performance levels to 3 (first ticking the "change amount of active performance levels" box of course).

randomizer

Champion
[citation][nom]perzy[/nom]with the really extremly bad cooling on todays GPU's ...a little plastic fan with sleeve bearings that runs slower and slower before it stops completly.. i'm very cautious. New cooling? Yeah, but that costs and then i get a 10% oc. Hmm. [/citation]
So you want them to jack the prices up more? We get ripped off as it is until a year after stuff get's released.

matthieu lamelot

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2008
[citation][nom]radium69[/nom]benchmarks anywhere? i'd like to see performance in gaming benchmarks. Fairly interesting article. Could save me some $ [/citation]

Performance is as you would expect it to be : fairly on par with the frequency increase. Don't expect miracles here, but it's enough to climb one step on a manufacturer's performance scale. i.e. our overclocked Geforce 9600 GT was as fast as a regular 8800 GT. Of course you could go beyond that, should you manage to reach higher frequencies than us (better card, better cooling, voltage mod, etc.)

Junkdude75

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2008
My Radeon 2900 pro 512MB,
went from 507Mhz GPU and 514Mhz memory
to 846Mhz GPU and 890MHz memory.

Thank you fore the ispiration!

randomizer

Champion
You got a nice overclock on that 9600GT. Mine won't play nicely in Crysis until I drop to 750MHz. Unfortunately ATITool can't detect artifacts no matter how much they fill the window with yellow, but just looking for them myself I didn't see any at 770MHz. Crysis just caused driver crashes all the time, which fortunately recovered every time. I only have my memory at 936MHz, I don't know how high I can go with that, but probably not far. The same crashes occur with the shader clock above 1770MHz. This was done via rivatuner with 174.74 drivers.

Just to let you know, the coders of NiBiTor are working on fan control, but they don't have enough 9 series BIOSs (especially 9600GT).

chovav

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2008
I got my 8800GT overclocked from 600Mhz Core to 691Mhz, 900Mhz memory to 1065Mhz and Shaders from 1500Mhz to 1728Mhz. It also ran stable at 700/1100/1750 but I decided to choose a little safer settings to flash the bios with. This overclock of about 17% gave me 16.3% better performance in 3D Mark 06! all that in no time! Thanks guys!!!

ferreguetti

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2007
Well you don't really need a floppy and it's really rare and hard to use it, what I did was, I have a windows 98 installation cd and i used that, works just fine...

calinelesbines

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2008
When overcloking a SLI rig. Can I use RiveTuner to overclock both card all together?
And when flashing the gpu-Bios, should I do it one card at the time (by physicaly remove it alternatively) or can I flash both my sli rig and both card will be set to the new bios-setting?

randomizer

Champion
Both cards need to be flashed independently, but they can both be in the system at the same time. You just need to use the correct command line switches in nvflash (-i I think, but not sure) to select which adapter you are going to flash. Check out shadow's guide which is linked on the first page of comments, he might have the info there.

Status
Not open for further replies.