[SOLVED] How to Plug This 120mm Fan

Fazh

Commendable
Nov 21, 2021
i have an old faulty PS ( cooler master B700 ver.2)
and this PS uses a silent YATE 12v DC 120mm fan with 2-pin

now my question here, how to plug this 2-pin (red & black)?
i dont want to control it. just want it to spin full speed which is 2200
can i plug it on the MB somewhere? do i need an adapter? how?

MB= msi z77a-g43
cpu= i7-3770

Solution
You would have to remove the current connector and solder on a 3 pin fan connector to the fan, just connecting the power and ground and leave the tachometer pin disconnected.

In my opinion is not really worth your time to go throug the hassle of making it a case fan, however. A power supply fan is not optimized for case airflow, plus that's a rather common and cheap fan that I believe utilizes a sleeve bearing.

I'd just buy a cheap case fan instead.
You would have to remove the current connector and solder on a 3 pin fan connector to the fan, just connecting the power and ground and leave the tachometer pin disconnected.

In my opinion is not really worth your time to go throug the hassle of making it a case fan, however. A power supply fan is not optimized for case airflow, plus that's a rather common and cheap fan that I believe utilizes a sleeve bearing.

I'd just buy a cheap case fan instead.

Solution

Ralston18

Titan
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

No - you cannot just "plug it on the MB somewhere".

The fan must be plugged in according to both the motherboard's User Guide/Manual and the Cooler Master B700 manual.

That said, if the Cooler Master B700 is known to be faulty then it should not be used at all.

And knowing that that may not be an option in some ways makes it all more important that you provide as much detail as you can about your system.

Hopefully there is a way to get the fan to simply run at full speed (2200 rpm). Unfortunately there may be some sort of trade off involved. E.g., system stability, temperatures, performance, etc..

I cannot offer (full disclosure) an immediate solution. There may be other ideas and suggestions which is fine with me.

In the meantime do all that you can to backup important data. At least 2 x to locations off of the current host computer. Be sure to verify that the data is recoverable and readable.