Question How to power a toshiba laptop with a broken DC-IN ?

Mar 13, 2024
My Toshiba satellite C55 fell and the DC-IN , where the power cord is inserted, broke. I cannot connect the power cord, and the battery is dead,
what are my options to power the laptop?
thank you

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
the only option really is to replace the port.

most of the time the part is only about $10 and a couple screws to replace (once you get the laptop apart of course). pretty easy really.

to be sure though search youtube for a video demonstrating it. there is pretty much a 99.99% chance you'll find one for it. once you see that it really is a simple task FOR YOUR LAPTOP MODEL, then order a new one and get it done :)

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=toshiba+satellite+c55+power+port+replacement

plenty of options it looks like. start here.

Reactions: rmichaelx55
Mar 13, 2024
Hi, the replacement option is difficult for me, since I am not that experienced.
Is there a way to power the laptop from and external power source, like a power bank, or by connecting it to a second laptop?
Or how could I recharge the battery?
thanks

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
no there is no other way to power the laptop. you would have to open it up and then hardwire another source to it. this would be harder than just replacing the port as said above.

the battery is removable so if you had another laptop of the SAME model, then you could charge it there and then swap it over going back and forth but that's not really a solution.

a local shop or your friendly neighborhood computer geek could do it for you if you are not comfortable doing it yourself. i've done it many times myself for others who did not feel up to it. but replacing the power port is really the best/only option.

Last edited:
Reviews of Toshiba Satellite C55 (there are several different models) seems to date from 2013-2016. So this appears to be a 10 year old laptop with a dead battery and in need of repair. Perhaps looking for a newer replacement of the laptop is an option.

Mar 13, 2024
no there is no other way to power the laptop. you would have to open it up and then hardwire another source to it. this would be harder than just replacing the port as said above.

the battery is removable so if you had another laptop of the SAME model, then you could charge it there and then swap it over going back and forth but that's not really a solution.

a local shop or your friendly neighborhood computer geek could do it for you if you are not comfortable doing it yourself. i've done it many times myself for others who did not feel up to it. but replacing the power port is really the best/only option.
Hi, I will search for someone who could help me replace the port. In the meantime I need to access the data that is on the laptop. What is the best and easiest way to do that ? thanks

kira-faye

Upstanding
Oct 11, 2023
Depends what kind of drive. Given the age, probably SATA.

CLAVOOP SATA to USB 3.0 Adapter, USB to SATA Adapters 2.5" SSD to USB SATA III Hard Drive to USB Adapter Cable, USB A SATA External Converter Compatible for 2.5 Inch HDD and SSD Data Transfer https://a.co/d/gkhLlNm

Something like the above should work. You'll need to take the HDD/SSD out and connect it to a desktop or another laptop.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
right as said above, you'll have to take the drive out of the laptop and connect it to a pc internally or use an external usb adapter/dock to connect it.

most likely it is a sata drive so can easily be connected to a pc internally if you desire.

sounds like you really need to find that neighborhood computer geek and make a new friend :)