How to prevent 100MB from being created when I install Win 7 in a SSD?

smalltech

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2009
For a normal hard disk (WD Black) I understand that if I format and partition the disk first in a working Windows, then use the disk to install windows, so that the 100mb reserved partition will not be created (because no formatting/partition is done at the Windows installation CD starting steps.).

For a SSD hard disk, should I also put the SSD hard disk into a working Windows and format it first, then use the SSD hard disk to install a new Windows 7 so that the 100mb reserved partition will not be created?

This is the first time I am using SSD.

Thanks

Two things come to mind real quick.

First, SSD's must have roughly 7% of their NAND memory set aside to deal with memory cell failures over the life of the SSD. Anytime a cell fails, part of that 7% or so is used to replace it.

Second, when you install Windows, it creates a hidden recovery partition. If you have no recovery partition, it is going to pretty much force you to reinstall every time you have a major problem. These recovery partitions vary in size, but they can be very useful when needed.

Hidden partitions are not messy. You cannot even see them except with special programs. They are useful.

I do like single partitions on my drives too, but your boot drive needs the partition. Look at the way my drives are setup. This is about as clean as you can get. The top drive is my SSD, and the unallocated space is the 7% reserved space it needs to function. The restore partition is at the beginning of the drive space. The second drive is my hard drive. One huge partition. And then the BD/DVD burner is at the bottom.

11tsg2h.jpg

As you can see, 3 drives, and only 3 drive letters used. That is as clean as you can make it.

smalltech

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2009

When you backup, do you backup the system reserved and the unallocated space?

Is the unallocated created by Windows? Or is it always there for SSD to work?

smalltech

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2009
"As far as I can see, it's not essential. if you install from a DVD/Image on to a clean disk, it will create a 100mb partition for you. This will contain all the boot folder and associated files.

If you pre-partition your disk the the installation will install everything into you boot partition (usually C:\...) " source http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/10408-whats-100mb-partition-can-i-delete.html#post100097

Previously I do not want it to be created, so I format/partition first then install Win 7 in WD Black

smalltech

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2009

Can also see it in My computer
3S7Xv.jpg

Man are you willing to listen or you will do as you want and dont ask anyones opinion, i have my hdd formated in gpt mode, gpt creates not 1 partition but 4 partition, none of them are showed in ym computer except drive C: which is my operating system the other 3 are hidden by default. The reason why it shows to you in your computer is that the windows was not correctly installed.

smalltech

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2009

I dont know what you mean by GPT mode. When I buy a new disk, I just initialize it and format it, then I install windows 7 into it, i dont remember anywhere i need to select GPT mode?

I went to google images, search for the keyword: my computer system reserve, all the pics i see have the [system reserved (?:)], i guess everyone is doing wrongly like what you said.

Where do you do the GPT mode thing

Not allowing Windows to create the reserved partition is a completely unsupported configuration. That partition contains not only the boot manager, but is also used by BitLocker (if you wish to use it), and contains the repair console, which isn't installed if the partition doesn't exist, and will require that you create and maintain a repair disk. It's a hidden partition that only appears in disk management, it's only 100MB, just let Windows create it and get on with life.

Mark is simple, if u have 2 hdd and u install windows on hdd 1 it creates a 100 mb partition and then u want to reinstall windows and u install it on hdd 2 it will create a 100 mb partition on this hdd too, now after the install is completed on hdd 2 when u enter in windows the system reserved partition from hdd 1 will be visible by default, one more thing if u try to install windows and it creates automatically the 100 mb partition and the windows partition if u click format on the 100 mb partition will be visible in my computer, when u create the partitions and it creates the 100 mb partition never format the 100 mb partition, u just leave it alone and select the big partition to install windows.