Question How to prevent damage to headphones cables?

Matiseli

Prominent
Oct 15, 2022
I buy very cheap headphones. With every model, sooner or later it happens to me that the cable gets damaged in such a way that one speaker stops outputting sound. How to prevent this? Use a rubber protector on the connector? Or does it just need more expensive headphones?
Thank you .

I buy very cheap headphones. With every model, sooner or later it happens to me that the cable gets damaged in such a way that one speaker stops outputting sound. How to prevent this? Use a rubber protector on the connector? Or does it just need more expensive headphones?
Thank you .
Look for headphones with removable cables, you can then replace when they break.

Reactions: Phillip Corcoran

Matiseli

Prominent
Oct 15, 2022
There's no magical way or secret trick to prevent damage to the cable outside of simply being careful or not buying the cheapest cable you can find in the first place.
Thanks.
I wonder why the cables are so sensitive. I only have this problem with headphones. In particular, I used to be careless with computer mouse cables and nothing happened to them.
Same for connectors: if the space between the cable and the connector is so prone to damage, why don't the manufacturers fix this? - So that customers don't have to buy all sorts of gadgets to protect the cable... I really don't understand some things.

Thanks.
I wonder why the cables are so sensitive. I only have this problem with headphones. In particular, I used to be careless with computer mouse cables and nothing happened to them.
Same for connectors: if the space between the cable and the connector is so prone to damage, why don't the manufacturers fix this? - So that customers don't have to buy all sorts of gadgets to protect the cable... I really don't understand some things.
I think a lot has to do with quality and cost. I have a set of Bose wired earbuds that are about 10 years old and still work, these were also my daily commute for a few years. The cheap Apple earbuds on the other hand used to last about a year. For wired headphones I think I have only had 1 cheap set (bundled free) develop a fault with the cable and 1 set that got stepped on and the plug broke. I have lost count of the headsets I have owned over the last 15+ years and most of my wired headsets have probably been between £60-£300.

DSzymborski

Titan
Thanks.

If they weren't cheaply made, they wouldn't be cheap. You can't be surprised that something very cheap is going to be of rather inferior quality. I can't remember the last time I've had a cable on a quality pair of headphones fail, outside of needing to get a replacement cable once for a pair of Sennheisers (though that was a cat's fault, not Sennheiser's).

Matiseli

Prominent
Oct 15, 2022
If they weren't cheaply made, they wouldn't be cheap. You can't be surprised that something very cheap is going to be of rather inferior quality. I can't remember the last time I've had a cable on a quality pair of headphones fail, outside of needing to get a replacement cable once for a pair of Sennheisers (though that was a cat's fault, not Sennheiser's).
So does it follow that I should invest in at least mid-range headphones?

TRENDING THREADS