How to Prioritize PS4 Bandwidth

teflon66V

Commendable
Aug 3, 2016
Hello, so I get horrible lag when playing games online when other members of my family are using the internet.
How can I give my PS4 priority over other devices on the network to minimize lag and other issues?
My current router is the Actiontec Mi424wr Rev. I. I want to change some of the QoS settings, but I have no idea what to do (as my router makes you manually do everything).
Could someone help me out? Thanks!

Solution

It's a WiFi problem, not an overall bandwidth problem. Too many people trying to use the same WiFi.

1. The Quantum Gateway does way better WiFi than the ActionTec (I'm not a Verizon shill, just my personal experience)
2. Location, location, location. Where the WiFi source lives is critical.
3. For QoS...

USAFRet

Titan

"Actiontec Mi424wr Rev. I."
So this assumes Verizon FiOS?

2 things that will work:
1. Change that Verizon router to the Quantum Gateway G1100.
2. Hardwired directly to that router.

I also have FiOS, and that router makes a major difference over the default ActionTec.

(if you don't have Verizon FiOS, we can explore other options)

teflon66V

Commendable
Aug 3, 2016

Sorry, should have specified. I do have Verizon FiOS. I have an older router (the Mi424wr Rev. D), could I use that in any way (as Kurz mentioned he added a second router)?

USAFRet

Titan

Change to the Quantum Gateway G1100.
Seriously. It is a MUCH better router than the default ActionTec.

Price for that varies between $100 and $200. I got mine for $100, spread over 3 monthly Verizon payments.

teflon66V

Commendable
Aug 3, 2016

Nope, as the router is on the first floor. I'm positive it's a bandwidth problem, as if I play when no one else is on the internet, I don't lag at all, but when people are on the internet, I lag like crazy.

USAFRet

Titan

It's a WiFi problem, not an overall bandwidth problem. Too many people trying to use the same WiFi.

1. The Quantum Gateway does way better WiFi than the ActionTec (I'm not a Verizon shill, just my personal experience)
2. Location, location, location. Where the WiFi source lives is critical.
3. For QoS within that router? It is very limited, as is the case with most 'routers'.
4. Is there any possible way you can run a Cat5e up to near where you need it?

Solution

teflon66V

Commendable
Aug 3, 2016

I am going to use my old router as an access point, and see if that will fix anything.