Oct 13, 2023
Card: EVGA 1080TI FTW3
Block: EKWB FTC 1080 Nickel and plexi
Old thermal paste: Thermal grizzly Kryonaut
New thermal paste: Thermal Grizzly Hydronaut

I've got an 6 year-old 1080ti which has been watercooled for the same amount of time and never changed thermal paste (flaming me is encouraged). It began drastically overheating on me and I have now bought a new one, and are now preparing the 1080ti with new paste to to then sell it. But I am a little frightened by the amount of thermal pasta that is touching the board. Some of it is liquid and some of it is in various stages between solid and "goo-y" liquid. Are the transistors capable of being handled by a q-tip or do i not need to remove it at all? The thermal paste is Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut. The new paste will be the same brand but its Hydronaut version.

Card: EVGA 1080TI FTW3
Block: EKWB FTC 1080 Nickel and plexi
Old thermal paste: Thermal grizzly Kryonaut
New thermal paste: Thermal Grizzly Hydronaut

I've got an 6 year-old 1080ti which has been watercooled for the same amount of time and never changed thermal paste (flaming me is encouraged). It began drastically overheating on me and I have now bought a new one, and are now preparing the 1080ti with new paste to to then sell it. But I am a little frightened by the amount of thermal pasta that is touching the board. Some of it is liquid and some of it is in various stages between solid and "goo-y" liquid. Are the transistors capable of being handled by a q-tip or do i not need to remove it at all? The thermal paste is Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut. The new paste will be the same brand but its Hydronaut version.
https://www.thermal-grizzly.com/en/remove-cleaner/s-tg-ar-100

$12 for 10ml ?
Just get technical grade isopropyl alcohol. $5 for 500ml.
That takes forever specially with hardened paste and needs to be physical with it and may cause mechanical damage. All makers of pastes have some kind of thinner/cleaner. I use my own mixture of high percentage alcohol with 10% nail polish solvent (Acetone). needs very tittle for efficient cleaning. 10ml lasts for dozen or more cleanings. That's about $1 per clean.

Imperat0r

Proper
Apr 19, 2024
That takes forever specially with hardened paste and needs to be physical with it and may cause mechanical damage. All makers of pastes have some kind of thinner/cleaner. I use my own mixture of high percentage alcohol with 10% nail polish solvent (Acetone). needs very tittle for efficient cleaning. 10ml lasts for dozen or more cleanings. That's about $1 per clean.
Interesting mix you've made.
What kind of alcohol you use in this mix?
Isopropyl alcohol?