Question How to properly setup a NAS?

Nov 12, 2019
We have a new NAS at home and I would like to get the most of it. Currently, I have simply plugged it into our router, however, it is only running on around 1KB/s upload and download. Is there a way to improve it? Our internet is good, though, normally we have around 300 Mbits/s with cable. Would buying a switch help? Or are there any other/better options? Thank you.

Sep 16, 2019
Maybe the following steps could help you:-
  1. Get network-attached storage.
  2. Install the hard drives.
  3. Manage storage spaces.
  4. Create a media structure.
  5. Configure NAS with your media center.

Nov 12, 2019
So far so good.

What is telling you "1KB/s upload and download " ?
What, specifically are you doing here?
The Synology's interface that is used to operate with the files. When I first started it, it said that the speed should stay at 1Gbit/second. I could provide more insight when I get home, because I don't have the access to it right now. I have so far only tried to upload a picture to the NAS, which got uploaded immediately, and a folder with various files which got stuck while uploading and I cancelled it.

USAFRet

Titan
Mar 16, 2013
The Synology's interface that is used to operate with the files. When I first started it, it said that the speed should stay at 1Gbit/second. I could provide more insight when I get home, because I don't have the access to it right now. I have so far only tried to upload a picture to the NAS, which got uploaded immediately, and a folder with various files which got stuck while uploading and I cancelled it.
With your NAS and PC both connected to the router, you should be seeing gigabit performance between the two.
Possibly check or replace the ethernet cable going to the NAS box.

Nov 13, 2019
If you want to set up a VPN client on Synology you will need to follow the basic steps outlined below. Synology devices support all 3 major VPN protocols: PPTP, L2TP, and OpenVPN. For security and privacy purposes we strongly recommend opting for OpenVPN. To setup OpenVPN for Synology you will need to:

1. Download the necessary config files from your VPN provider. If you aren't sure what config files you need ask your provider directly. You will need the .ovpn files for either UDP or TCP connections depending on which you intend to use (we recommend UDP as it is faster and more stable). You will also require .crt and .key files. (If your VPN cannot provide you with access to these files, you will likely need to subscribe to a different VPN service.)
  2. Open your Synology Control Panel
  3. Now click on "Network"
  4. Select the "Network Interface" tab in the top menu
  5. Click "Create" and select "Create VPN profile"
  6. Select "OpenVPN (via importing a .ovpn file)"
  7. In general settings enter - Profile name: (make this whatever you like). Username: Your VPN username from when you subscribed. Password: your VPN password from when you subscribed.
  8. Import .ovpn file: Select the .ovpn file you downloaded from your provider
  9. CA certificate: Select the ca.crt you got from your provider
  10. Client certificate: Select the .crt file you got from your provider
  11. Client key: Select the .key you got from your provider
  12. In the next window, click the checkboxes next to: “Use default gateway or remote network.” “Allow other network devices to connect through this Synology server’s internet connection.” And: “Reconnect when the VPN connection is lost.”
  13. You should now see the newly created connection in the list. Select it, and click "Connect".
  14. Once a connection is established you should see a box appear that shows an active connection with data being sent.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS