How to protect my self from damaging components when changing gpu

Solution

This is all I do, however if you want to be extra cautious keep the power supply plugged in but turn it off. This grounds the Power supply unit, which is touching the case and grounds it as well.
Then touch the case while working.

This is all I do, however if you want to be extra cautious keep the power supply plugged in but turn it off. This grounds the Power supply unit, which is touching the case and grounds it as well.
Then touch the case while working.

Solution

Abdul_6

Reputable
Sep 3, 2015

do i keep 1 hand on case ? how wil i put the gpu u then

Azated

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2009
Static and breaking pins are your biggest concerns. As long as you touch the case (like everyone's already suggested) and don't work while on carpet, you just have to make sure you don't jam plugs into sockets like a battering ram and you'll be right.

nuttynut

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2016

It doesn't even have to be your hands that are touching the case, and once the static is discharged it takes time to build up again. GPUs should be pretty easy to install. Removing them can sometimes be a problem, though, at least on older boards.

If you're really concerned about static buildup, ESD grounding bracelets are pretty cheap. You can get them from Staples or Walmart.