[SOLVED] How to quickly convert HFS file with data to NTFS format with data?

• Thread starter Deleted member 2849646
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 2849646

Hi,

For many years I used a samsung story station 2TB drive as an external backup for my macbook. However, recently i've moved back to windows, and am looking to retain all the data in the HFS drive but convert the drive to NTFS format. Is there a way to do this, or is it a case of moving the data to an NTFS drive using HFS+ explorer, formatting the 2TB drive as desired, and moving the data back?

I'm trying to avoid having to transfer the data elsewhere only to move it back if it can safely be avoided. If there's a way to do this any advice appreciated.

Thanks.

Solution
Even with a simple click click solution (and there isn't), this should not be done without a 100% full backup of the data.
And if you have that, just reformat as needed.
D

Deleted member 2849646

Thanks guys! Spent ages moving the data to another hard drive - now nearly ready to reformat and move all the data back! Happy days! :)

Reactions: mundial

mundial

Reputable
Dec 31, 2017
Thanks guys! Spent ages moving the data to another hard drive - now nearly ready to reformat and move all the data back! Happy days! :)

Don't drink too much coffee when performing this task! You would be amazed at the amount of people who fall between two stools and accidentally format the wrong drive performing an operation like this.

All I can say is -

Disconnect ALL removable drives from your computer before performing any "format" operation.

Then double-check that contents have been successfully moved over. Checking folder size is normally a good indication.

D

Deleted member 2849646

Don't drink too much coffee when performing this task! You would be amazed at the amount of people who fall between two stools and accidentally format the wrong drive performing an operation like this.

All I can say is -

Disconnect ALL removable drives from your computer before performing any "format" operation.

Then double-check that contents have been successfully moved over. Checking folder size is normally a good indication.

Doing just that! Thanks! :)

Btw, can anyone recommend a reliable hard drive for backups? looking for a new external hard drive nothing too fancy - 500gb-1tb max. Also, after a 500gb-1tb internal too! I hear hitachi used to be good for reliability. Have WD's drives become more reliable since they took over Hitachi, or have they bought Hitachi down! Since my samsung M3 failed today, and it contained a seagate, i'm reluctant to buy another seagate! First drive failure in my life and it's a seagate!

Ralston18

Titan
And copy - not move.

Copy will leave the original source files in place and intact.

If the above recommended double check fails to find the "moved" files then you can try again.

If the sources files are lost to limbo during the move they may or may not be found again and/or not be recoverable.

Reactions: mundial
D

Deleted member 2849646

External - Toshiba Canvio or Verbatim Store N Go

Internal - Toshiba L200

Applicable for a desktop backup too, or are there better 3.5" alternatives? Don't have a preference either way - I always thought the 3.5" ones were more reliable.

mundial

Reputable
Dec 31, 2017
Applicable for a desktop backup too, or are there better 3.5" alternatives? Don't have a preference either way - I always thought the 3.5" ones were more reliable.

3.5" run typically at 7200rpm as opposed to 5200rpm for 2.5"

Are 3.5" more reliable than 2.5". In a word, no! - because in the context of an external backup disk, a 3.5" model is much more likely to suffer more serious shock damage than a 2.5" disk. For example, sometimes a 2.5" disk will survive a fall from a table. While a 3.5" disk (because there is more mass X weight) might suffer the same fall or impact and incur serious head or platter damage.

Secondly, because 2.5" disks run slower - there is less stress on the components.

(If you really want a 3.5" disk - a Toshiba P300 would be a good choice)

D

Deleted member 2849646

3.5" run typically at 7200rpm as opposed to 5200rpm for 2.5"

Are 3.5" more reliable than 2.5". In a word, no! - because in the context of an external backup disk, a 3.5" model is much more likely to suffer more serious shock damage than a 2.5" disk. For example, sometimes a 2.5" disk will survive a fall from a table. While a 3.5" disk (because there is more mass X weight) might suffer the same fall or impact and incur serious head or platter damage.

Secondly, because 2.5" disks run slower - there is less stress on the components.

(If you really want a 3.5" disk - a Toshiba P300 would be a good choice)

I think i'm going to get an SSD. The spinning of the disk REALLY irritates me. Not sure if my disk is on its last leg, but I disconnected the secondary drive (seagate), which is louder than the cpu fan! Is that normal? Now planning on replacing it with a 1TB cheapo ssd - hopefully pick up something nice in the black friday sales!

Status
Not open for further replies.