How to rebuild icon cache in windows 10?

PCN00B123

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2014
I looked online on how to rebuild my icon cache in windows 10 after I did a disk clean and it never rebuilt. The instructions told me to locate this folder 'C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Explorer'
but the problem is when I reach reach windows there is no 'Explorer' but instead to folders named
'INetCache' and 'INetCookies', both of these folders are empty.

Anyone got any ideas how I rebuild my icon cache?

Thank you in advance.:D

Solution
What you are describing is to be able to view a thumbnail on the file icon. That might be a settings change in Folder Options. From a File Explorer window click View > (on the far right) Options > View tab > there is a check box for "Always show icons, never thumbnails"

If that is check you won't every see the thumbnail.

There could also be one of your installed programs that might have made a change also.

PCN00B123

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2014

I have ? I've been doing this for 2 days and nothing has changed :(

PCN00B123

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2014

Actually it does affect how my computer works. I can't even see what Image I'm choosing without opening it. Waste of time.
All I did was a disk clean up....

davewolfgang

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
What you are describing is to be able to view a thumbnail on the file icon. That might be a settings change in Folder Options. From a File Explorer window click View > (on the far right) Options > View tab > there is a check box for "Always show icons, never thumbnails"

If that is check you won't every see the thumbnail.

There could also be one of your installed programs that might have made a change also.

Solution

PCN00B123

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2014

Omg! I love you..... (no homo).
Thank you very much. But there's one more problem. It's only minor but It's strange and quite annoying.
Whenever I move a tab, for example google chrome, you don't see the image but just a grey box outline. Same goes for when I hold left click on desktop. There's no blue box just an outline.
Any ideas what this could be?