How to recover data from misaligned hard drive platters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Solution
If you opened the case, removed the disks, handled them, then replaced them and re-assembled, you have a LOT more trouble than misaligned disks. I suspect you have actually connected the re-assembled drive to a computer and tried to use it, and that is how you know it does not work. That means it has rotated the disks, and probably the heads have moved in trying to access data. It is VERY likely that, by opening the case and handling the disks, you have added fine dust particles inside the case, and those can get caught under the heads and scratch the disk surfaces, ruining them.

As unksoil said, to have ANY hope of recovering some of your data (and maybe not all - depends if any areas of the disks have been ruined already), you will...

alaltyib

Honorable
May 26, 2012

I removed them and I did not maintain the rotational alignment, I did not know better.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
If you opened the case, removed the disks, handled them, then replaced them and re-assembled, you have a LOT more trouble than misaligned disks. I suspect you have actually connected the re-assembled drive to a computer and tried to use it, and that is how you know it does not work. That means it has rotated the disks, and probably the heads have moved in trying to access data. It is VERY likely that, by opening the case and handling the disks, you have added fine dust particles inside the case, and those can get caught under the heads and scratch the disk surfaces, ruining them.

As unksoil said, to have ANY hope of recovering some of your data (and maybe not all - depends if any areas of the disks have been ruined already), you will have to send it to a professional data recovery company that disassembles, cleans, and reassembles the unit. The cost is sure to be over $1000, probably a lot more.

Solution

alaltyib

Honorable
May 26, 2012
I removed the disks and handled them carefully, I used clean rubber gloves, I did not rerun them since I removed them, however, one of the two has excessive run mark before I opened them. This hard drive failed when I used Norton anti virus full computer scan, when I woke up in the morning the hard drive was clicking and that is how it failed. The question is "what is the possibility for me to re align the platters clockwise, relative to each other. this is a dual platter Hitachi HD 250.

Saintarthur

Honorable
May 20, 2012
If you didn't open the drives in a cleanroom environment and spin them up afterwards, you have practically no chance of being able to recover information from them. a recovery lab may be able to recover something but it's going to cost an absolutely horrendous amount of money.
They have to mount the disc in a special jig and read the information off it in a class 10 cleanroom environment.
There are particles of dust in the air everywhere that if they get between the head and the disc surface destroy the magnetic media.
Opening HDDs at home is just for curiosity, not to try to recover any information.

Having said that, I read the title of this post and thought, "oh wow, does someone have a method for doing this? This person must be a god"

alaltyib

Honorable
May 26, 2012

can I re-align the platters if all other conditions are met? the key word, is re align the platters clock wise relative to each other, is it critical, how?

dusty128

Honorable
Apr 11, 2013

Although misalignment is a bad thing, it may work nevertheless. I had a similar scenario and could retrieve my data. I summed this up a bit here:

http://helios.himmelbauer-it.at/blogs/general/rescuing-data-from-a-click-of-death-harddisk-unexpected-success/

Nevertheless it's a bad idea to open the disk in a non-clean-room, moreover exchanging the head instead of the platters would have been the better solution.

Status
Not open for further replies.