How to recover my old hard drive?

Wittster

Commendable
Jan 3, 2017
Hello, can anyone advise how I can recover files from an old hard drive that I rescued from my desktop PC 4 years ago? I'm not very tech-savvy, so not sure really where to start. I was told once that I can connect it to a laptop, but not sure what I need to buy (in UK). Grateful for any advice. Thanks, Chris

Solution
I would get the 2.5/3.5 SATA kit. You need one that would supply power to the desktop hard drive, which that one does. The simpler 2.5" SATA one will power a small laptop drive over USB, but it won't have enough power for a desktop hard drive like you want to retrieve data from.

Wittster

Commendable
Jan 3, 2017
Thanks Zjinnx, very helpful of you. Could I be confident that the cable at that link would work for my hard drive? At the link you sent me there were a few different options: USB 2.0; 2.5in HDD/SDD; USB 3.0; etc etc.

Also I read somewhere there are different types of hard drives that need different connectors (if that's the correct terminology!). I've taken a picture of the hard drive which has a lot of stuff written on it but unfortunately can't seem to attach it...

It has some pictures of great sentimental value on, so would be great if I can access them, Thanks. Chris

dstarr3

Distinguished
I would get the 2.5/3.5 SATA kit. You need one that would supply power to the desktop hard drive, which that one does. The simpler 2.5" SATA one will power a small laptop drive over USB, but it won't have enough power for a desktop hard drive like you want to retrieve data from.

Solution

Zjinnx

Commendable
Dec 30, 2016
As dstarr3 suggested, getting a 2.5/3.5 SATA kit would be the smartest move. It was my mistake to give you that link, I was just trying to point out what kind of cable/adapter you're looking for.