How to Remove SB heatsink/fan

doczenith1

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
The heaksink/fan appears to be connected with a spring loaded mechanism that has two spring post on either side of the heatsink. I can lift it up a millimeter or so but that's it. How do I remove the heatsink? I'm wondering if my SB is the reason my computer will not turn back on. I turned off the computer to blow out the inside of it. While I had the case open I was jacking around with the sb heatsink because the fan started making noise. After hooking the computer back up it will not turn on. I've ruled out a bad power switch and the green light on the mb is on. Ohh, it's an ASUS A8N SLI mb. Thanks!

Solution
Take the motherboard out, turn it upside down, and if you look you will see that when the pin is pushed through the motherboard it expands, so you need to grip the bottom of the pin with a pair of plyers so it is narrow enough to fit through the hole and voila

marsay001

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2009
Take the motherboard out, turn it upside down, and if you look you will see that when the pin is pushed through the motherboard it expands, so you need to grip the bottom of the pin with a pair of plyers so it is narrow enough to fit through the hole and voila

Solution

marsay001

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2009
Not really, The only way you could have damaged something is if you have REALLY yanked on it , I mean propper pulled it and bent/bowed the motherboard but they can be quite resilient. It will be fine :).

Are you getting no action whats so ever when you power on?, are you getting a post?

Jim Thompson45

Reputable
Nov 29, 2015
Very good; thanks for the answer.
Does the SB heatsink have thermal grease between it and the chip?
If so, I will remove mine and check it as the CPU (Northbridge?) heatsink grease had completely dried out causing the computer to re-boot itself without warning.

the24frans

Honorable
Mar 1, 2012

I think the heatsinks on most southbridge chips are passive but still require grease, though it might vary with the motherboard. My ASUS board had horrible sort of "foamlike" sticky pads in place of the grease for both the heatsinks, Northbridge AND Southbridge, so gucked on there that I had to carefully remove them and replace them with grease, and they run much cooler-about 20 degrees cooler. Be sure to get full instructions and maybe lay in replacement spring clips for the heatsinks, they often get destroyed inadvertently as they are difficult to remove non-destructively-and do not skip completely removing the motherboard if you didn't already, it's nearly impossible to be sure they are seated properly after reinstalling just from looking at the front. This is probably obvious, but I just wanted to be thorough.

I'm monitoring this thread, so let me know if anything is unclear. I should also let you know that netiquette would dictate that if an original post is as old as this one, that when you start asking questions you do not "necropost", but start a new thread-though I suspect you'd have gotten a response from someone else, not me-but perhaps from someone more knowledgable LOL

Hope this helps!

Jim Thompson45

Reputable
Nov 29, 2015
Sure does.

Jim Thompson45

Reputable
Nov 29, 2015

rhegarty

Honorable
Dec 2, 2013

Thanks this helped me remove my Asus Z97-E PCH heatsink. The cap has a bunch of scratches on it that was irritating to me no end. Now I just need to figure out if I will paint our remove the Asus vanity logo altogether.